Brentford B lifted the Premier League Cup after a 2-1 win against Blackburn Rovers Under-21s on Tuesday night.

First-half goals from Ryan Trevitt and Nathan Young-Coombes secured the victory for the B team in their maiden game at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Trevitt put Neil MacFarlane's side ahead on the half-hour mark after smartly converting from an Alex Gilbert corner inside the penalty area.

And the goalscorer of the first goal turned provider, like he has so many times this campaign, when he combined with Gilbert down the right side, before the ball was cut back to Young-Coombes, whose effort crashed off the crossbar and over the line to double the Bees' lead.

Despite a late goal from Rovers substitute Zak Gilsenan, a solid second-half performance ensured the Bees secured the victory and lifted the trophy in their first-ever season in the competition.

Brentford name unchanged side from semi-final

MacFarlane selected the same Bees team that beat Fulham Under-21s 2-1 in the Premier League Cup semi-final.

Gilbert, who recorded a goal and an assist in that game, captained the side, while first-team defender Kristoffer Ajer partnered Tristan Crama and Daniel Oyegoke at centre-back in a 3-4-3.

Blackburn U21s made two changes from their last fixture - a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace U21s in the Premier League 2.

Boss Mike Sheron replaced Clinton Mola and Zak Gilsenan for Jake Garrett and Georgie Gent, sticking with the 3-4-3.

As the players warmed up for the first time at the Gtech, the hail and rain came lashing down in west London, with the occasional clap of thunder and strike of lightning audible and visible in the distance.

Brentford B: Cox; Oyegoke, Ajer, Crama; Stevens, Syla, Trevitt, Adedokun; Gilbert, Young-Coombes (Dickov 80), Olakigbe

Subs not used: Waruih, Farr, Beckham, Yogane

Blackburn U21: Eastham; Gamble, Phillips, Gent; Duru (Gilsenan 46), Montgomery, Garrett, Batty (Pratt 83); O'Grady (Edmondson 74), Leonard, Burns (Weston 74)

Subs not used: Goddard

Attendance: 2,219

Trevitt and Young-Coombes put hosts ahead at break

The bad weather continued throughout the opening stages of the half. Gilbert and Ajer’s early slide tackles across the sodden surface quickly showed the state of the conditions on Tuesday night.

Despite this, Brentford continued to probe with some nice football and, on the 10-minute mark, Val Adedokun and Olakigbe combined down the left. Trevitt then received the ball and, after weaving his way into the area, his shot was blocked by a Blackburn defender.

Blackburn then had their only real chances of the half as the clock ticked into the 18th minute. Harley O’Grady had an opportunity to take a shot at goal after a slip from Roy Sylla, but it was blocked behind for a corner for the visitors, which was headed away by Crama.

Two minutes later, the Blackburn no.10 had another chance from a similar position on the opposite side of the box.

After a smart knockdown from Sam Burns, which came from a long ball towards the diminutive forward, O’Grady’s effort was deflected out for another corner. This one was headed away by the Bees’ other towering defender, Ajer.

This time in a perhaps more surprising right-wing position, Ajer was involved again after he received the ball in the corner and beat his man like an accomplished winger, before squaring to Trevitt, whose shot was blocked for a corner.

But the midfielder, less than two minutes later, on the half-hour mark, made amends for that miss and put Brentford ahead.

This time he received the ball after Gilbert’s low delivery from a corner and, thanks to some clever movement, the Brentford no.8 was free inside the area and sent the ball into the bottom corner past keeper Jordan Eastham.

The Bees were finding their rhythm and, after Sylla played a pass into Nathan Young-Coombes’ feet, the hosts were in again. A one-two between the striker and Gilbert saw the former receive a high ball inside the area, but he could only poke it over the bar.

The Brentford playmaker Gilbert kept getting on the ball in those dangerous areas and he helped create his side’s second goal five minutes before the break.

He slid the ball into goalscorer Trevitt, who this time turned provider having cut the ball back to Young-Coombes. The striker’s effort bounced onto the line off the crossbar and, with a wave of his flag, the linesman confirmed that the Bees were 2-0 ahead.

Solid second half secures the win

Blackburn made a change at the break, bringing Zak Gilsenan on for Leo Duru, and they started the second half on top.

The visitors had plenty of the ball but struggled to create any real clear-cut chances.

Burns looked the liveliest attacking option for the visitors but, despite making a couple of promising runs into the penalty area, he couldn't get a shot or pass away.

Young-Coombes had Brentford's best chance of the half, and looking to get his second goal of the game, he drove down the right side.

Having beat a defender, he angled an attempt towards the near post and, despite it beating the goalkeeper, his attempt came crashing back off the woodwork.

The Bees had another chance to well and truly put the game to bed when Crama nearly scored what would have been one of the Goals of the Season.

The centre-back picked up the ball on the halfway line and charged towards the goal. He turned down chances to pass the ball and sent a curling shot towards the far corner, but his effort went inches wide.

The game became stretched with 15 minutes remaining and, with the Bees on the counter-attack, Jake Batty picked up the first booking of the game for bringing down Young-Coombes.

Gilbert was guilty of something similar heading into the final stages, which saw him booked too.

Rovers did their best to try and get themselves back into the game, but Harry Leonard's header and Gilsenan's long-range effort both went just past the right-hand post.

Gilsenan did manage to pull one back for the visitors with five minutes to go, which led to a nervous final period for Brentford.

That was evident when Max Dickov and Patrick Gamble came together in an altercation, which saw the pair both pick up yellow cards.

That was one of the final moments of the final, which ended with jubilance around the Gtech and, of course, a rendition of Hey Jude and Freed From Desire.