The young Bees, who went into the game on the back of an impressive 3-1 win over Cambridge United last time out, were met by the National League South side who pulled away in the second half of the game to claim the win.

Joe Adams and Wraynel Hercules were on the scoresheet for Neil MacFarlane’s side on a day they will look to put behind them quickly as they turn their attentions Southend United on Wednesday.

It was a game where Brentford B started relatively brightly with Lachlan Brook picking up some dangerous positions out on the right flank as he threatened to get in behind the Dulwich back line. On five minutes one of the Trialists won a header in the centre of the box but it was straight at the goalkeeper. Brook then tried his luck from distance but he dragged his effort wide of goal.

A few moments later the home side had their first attempt when Chike Kandi struck powerfully after receiving the ball in the centre from the right-hand side, forcing Nathan Shepperd into a smart save.

On 30 minutes the young Bees had another good chance as Brook threatened once again, and after cutting onto his left, he curled a low effort just the wrong side of the far post. That preceded the opening goal of the game just a minute later as a long ball over the top was flicked on behind the Brentford defence as the Dulwich Trialist rounded Shepperd and found the net.

Tristan Crama then had a header crash against the crossbar following a set piece, and Brentford were given a golden chance to level things just seconds before the interval. As Jaakko Oksanen challenged in the box, he was hauled down by a Hamlet defender and the referee pointed to the spot. Adams then stepped up to score his second penalty of the season after doing the same at Cambridge.

An early Adams effort towards the far post saw Brentford start the second half well and up until the hour mark the side limited Dulwich to few opportunities with James Dayton having the only real chance when he chipped just wide after going through on goal.

It could have been 2-1 to Brentford when Alex Gilbert did fantastically down the left before he laid the ball back to Paris Maghoma, whose goalbound effort was well saved by the keeper.

As was the case with the first goal, Dulwich found the net shortly after a Brentford attack when Kandi got on the scoresheet after the ball sat up nicely for him as he volleyed home from a tight angle. Quade Taylor then hit Brentford with another blow as he rose highest in the box to head home following a set piece on 62 minutes in what was a tough period for The Bees.

They gave themselves a lifeline on 65 minutes when substitute Wraynel Hercules pulled one back as he got on the end of an excellent low cross from Adams to slot home first time.

With Brentford looking for a leveller they then conceded once more as Deon Moore slid in to knock the ball over the line following a low cross from the left. The final goal then came on 79 minutes when Jude Russell fouled in the area and Moore stepped up to claim his second of the afternoon as the match finished 5-2 to Dulwich.

Dulwich Hamlet: Grainger, Ming, Blackman, Timlin, Holland, Sterling, Trialist, McGregor, Kandi, Dayton, Moore

Subs: Molyneux, Higgs, Barnum-Bobb, Mills, Splatt, Harris-Sealy, Trialist, Diallo, Trialist, Taylor, Trialist

Brentford B: Shepperd, Crama (Trialist, 60), Russell, Trialist (Hockenhull, 73), (Hercules, 45) Adams, Gilbert, Brook (Trevitt, 60), Trialist (Trialist, 60) Maghoma (Trialist, 73) Trialist (Trialist, 60), Oksanen (Jefferies, 60)

Attendance: 348