Brentford B rounded off their stay in Portugal with a 4-1 defeat to Swedish top division side IF Elfsborg at the Estádio Municipal de Albufeira on Thursday morning.

The B team trailed 1-0 at the break before their senior opponents went on to net three times in the second period whilst Alex Gilbert got Brentford’s only goal from the penalty spot.

The side came up against a strong Elfsborg XI who had an early chance inside the first minute when a blocked shot eventually found its way into the path of Ahmed Qasam but his effort was parried away by Roco Rees in goal.

Possession was traded in the early stages of the game on a difficult pitch due to heavy rain in the area, and it took until 26 minutes for the game’s first goal. After winning the ball back high Jack Cooper-Love was afforded enough space on the edge of the box to curl home into the bottom right-hand corner which was just beyond the reach of Rees.

The B team lined up for their second match in Portugal having also played against Breiðablik

After the half hour mark the Bees had a couple of really good attempts as some good hold up play from Tony Yogane saw the ball eventually fall into the path of winger J’Neil Bennett. He then opted to take on a shot from distance but it was well saved and pushed over by Tim Rönning in goal.

Charlie Farr was next to try his luck from range and he struck very well, almost catching the Elfsborg keeper out as the ball looked to dip into the net. Credit to the keeper who adjusted well and pushed the ball over once again.

The second period was just six minutes old before Elfsborg doubled their lead and it came in frustrating circumstances. After Farr drove forward in an attacking sense a coming together with an Elfsborg player saw the ball ricochet out of play with the former Aston Villa man convinced the Bees had won a corner. The referee awarded a goal kick and, credit to the opponents who were quick to play, as a long ball over the top found Cooper-Love in behind. Val Adedokun did his best to intervene but the striker pulled away and clashed with the onrushing Rees meaning the referee then pointed to the spot. Cooper-Love then stepped up to convert and make it 2-0.

On 55 minutes Andre Boman was replaced for Elfsborg following a foul on Adedokun which left the Irishman in a great deal of pain. The resulting free-kick then led to a penalty being awarded to the Bees after Gilbert’s delivery, which was aimed towards Tristan Crama, saw the Frenchman pushed in mid-air before the referee awarded the second spot kick of the game. Gilbert then stepped up to convert into the bottom left-hand corner.

Just after the hour mark Elfsborg had their third of the game as they restored their two-goal advantage. Gustaf Lagerbielke rose highest at the far post to nod in following a corner to make it 3-1 to Jimmy Thelin’s side. The Bees then made a host of changes with minutes afforded to a large part of the squad across the 90 minutes. The final goal of the game then came on 81 minutes in perhaps unfortunate circumstances for the Bees. Substitute Kevin Holmén found himself on the right-hand side of the box and he looked to put the ball into the box but it floated over Rees and ended up in the far corner of the goal.

The B team will now turn their attentions to their Premier League Cup quarter-final with Arsenal on 13 March at the VBS Community Stadium.

Brentford B: Rees (Rose, 82), Farr, Adedokun (McManus, 55), Oyegoke (Dickov, 64), Crama (Lisbie, 64), Jones, Bennett (Holland, 45), Trevitt (Wilcox, 64), Gilbert (Vine, 64), Yogane (Beckham, 64), Syla (Waruih, 45)

Subs not used: Olakigbe

IF Elfsborg: Rönning, Hult, Henriksson, Lagerbielke, Boman, Ouma, Boateng, Zeneli, Qasem, Okkels, Cooper-Love

Subs: Pedro, Holmén, Rapp, Richtner