Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Stevens among internationals on Saturday

Dervisoglu and Brook also get action for Turkey and Australia

12 June 2022

Three of Brentford's players were involved in international action on Saturday. Turkey won in the Nations League, while Wales U21s suffered a narrow defeat to Netherlands. Australia U23s also battled their way into an AFC Asian Cup Semi-Final.

Halil Dervisoglu played 68 minutes in Turkey's 2-0 win over Luxembourg. The Nations League match saw the Turkish team score a goal in each half as they limited the home side to zero shots on target.

They top Group C1, having also beaten Faroe Islands and Lithuania so far this campaign. They play the latter side on Tuesday night in matchday four of six, before completing the final two fixtures in September.

Closer to home, Fin Stevens played the whole of Wales U21's 1-0 defeat to Netherlands in Llanelli. Already eliminated from the European Championship Qualification race, Wales battled hard against the team top of Group E.

It took until the 86th minute for Lutsharel Geertruida to head home a winner, beyond former Brentford keeper Nathan Shepperd. The Dutch side ended their qualifying campaign unbeaten as winners of the six-team group, while Wales still have a game to play against bottom side Gibraltar on Tuesday.

Finally, Lachlan Brook got 70 minutes as Australia U23's beat Turkmenistan in the Quarter-Finals of the AFC U23 Asian Cup.

A scrappy game, the winning goal came in the form of an own goal just after Brook left the pitch. Louis D'Arrigo hit a cross towards the far post, which was nodded towards his own net by Oraz Orazov. Goalkeeper Rasul Charyyev tipped it on to the crossbar but it dropped down over the line.

They'll play either Saudi Arabia or Vietnam in the Semi-Finals, those teams meeting today (Sunday). The other game this afternoon features Korea Republic and Japan. They will battle it out for a chance to face hosts Uzbekistan, who beat Iraq on penalties.

Astonishingly, the home side had their goalkeeper sent off inside the first 10 minutes of the game but secured a 2-2 draw after Extra Time and then won it 3-2 on spot-kicks.

Advertisement block