Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Women's First Team beaten in League Cup tie

Narrow loss to Welling United

13 January 2022

Brentford FC Women’s First Team narrowly missed out on reaching the Fourth Round of the London and South East Regional Women's Football League Cup after suffering a 2-1 loss at the hands of Welling United. In what was an evenly contested game between two good footballing sides, it was unfortunate that the tie was decided by a mistake from Bees keeper Stacey Bishopp; who was otherwise stellar in her performance.

Head Coach Karleigh Osborne was pleased with the overall performance from his side but knows to kick on from here they need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

Karleigh said: “The biggest thing for us is becoming clinical in the final third. I think we play fantastic football, some of the passages of play we produce are brilliant. However, in football you get judged on putting the ball in the back of the net and today we didn’t do that. The most positive thing is that we are creating chances on a regular basis.”

About half an hour into the game Welling, who play in Division One South with The Bees in Division One North, took the lead against the run of play. After some careless play at the back from Brentford, the away side's left winger latched onto the loose ball and showed great composure to shimmy inside and fire into the bottom left.

The Bees pressure paid off in the second half when they found an equaliser through a Rebekah Edwards penalty. It was fellow winger Ellen Wardlaw who drove at the opposing defender to force the challenge inside the box. Edwards stepped up and made no mistake from the spot unleashing a fierce strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

With momentum on their side, Brentford looked to be in the ascendency for a winning goal, but it was Welling who found an all-important second. A shot from the edge of the box looked routine for Bishopp, unfortunately she fumbled it and the ball just crept over the line despite the keeper’s best efforts.

At the other end of the pitch, Welling’s keeper was their hero, most notably with a double save that saw two Edwards efforts kept out. The home side could not find an equaliser and the game stayed at 2-1, seeing Welling progress.

Advertisement block