Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Women's First Team into Quarter-Finals

Bees beat Headstone Manor Ladies thanks to Miller and Harris

21 January 2022

Brentford FC Women’s First Team progressed to the Quarter Final of the Capital Intermediate Cup after a 2-1 victory against Headstone Manor Ladies. A goal apiece from Georgia Harris and Laura Miller was enough for The Bees to reach the final eight of the competition. Head Coach Karleigh Osborne was pleased for Harris and how well she adapted to playing the number nine role.

Karleigh said: “Georgia done well, it’s difficult because Georgia isn’t naturally a striker. When the ball was played into her, she looked after it. I’m really pleased that she got herself a goal because she does a lot of work that sometimes goes unnoticed. I’m really pleased for her and the team because I thought the performance was brilliant."

Central Midfielder Miller got Brentford off to the perfect start by finding the back of the net just two minutes into the game. From a corner, Miller latched onto a clearance and finished eloquently with a side volley into the top corner.

The Bees looked in the mood for goals and if it wasn’t for the opposing keeper could have had a hatful in the first half an hour. Most notably the Headstone keeper stood up to Rebekah Edwards when she was clean through on goal and looked bound to find the second. After bossing proceedings in the first half Brentford found that all important second 38 minutes in. Harris found herself one-on-one with the keeper and showed good composure to fire her effort into the top left-hand corner.

Unfortunately, Brentford failed to carry that momentum into the second half. Headstone set up an interesting last 15 minutes after they also scored following a corner. The in-swinging set piece from the left was first met by a Headstone player and then cleared off the line by Chloe Webb. After a scramble in the box, it was forced home from close range to offer the home side a lifeline.

Brentford managed the latter stage of the match well and safely navigated their way through the remainder of the tie, picking up a 2-1 win. They return to league action on Sunday where they travel to Walton Casuals.

Advertisement block