Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report and Match Highlights: Middlesex Cup Final: Brentford defeated on penalties

MacFarlane's side beaten after 1-1 draw in Hampton

14 April 2022

Barnet captured the Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup with a 4-2 penalty shootout win over Brentford B at The Cleo Saul Beveree Stadium in Hampton.

The game finished 1-1 after 90 minutes, 751 fans watching on as Nathan Young-Coombes saw his first-half goal cancelled out by Ryan De Havilland in the second period. Young-Coombes then saw a late penalty saved, Barnet winning the game in a shootout.

Barnet had most of the ball in the first ten, creating chances with deep crosses into the box and trying to overwhelm the Brentford back line.

While this allowed both defenders Ross Marshall and Reiss Greenidge headers at goal after just a few minutes, it also left them exposed to the rapid counters we’re used to seeing from Neil MacFarlane’s sides.

After a quarter of an hour, this almost cost the home side a goal when Val Adedokun raced down the left flank to whip a cross onto the head of Young-Coombes, who nodded narrowly wide.

Dom Jefferies also got far too much space before hitting a long-range effort north of the crossbar from just outside the box.

A swift counter-attack got Brentford the opening goal after 22 minutes, as Adedokun found Young-Coombes in the final third. The striker made space for himself on the edge of the box and unleashed a drive into the top right corner. Keeper Jake Askew got a hand to it but could do nothing to direct it away from the target. 1-0, NYC’s 26th of the B Team campaign.

The Bees from north London nearly got back into the game after half an hour but twice found Ben Hockenhull in the way. The former Manchester United youngster blocked a Rob Hall cross at the near post and then got on his feet to stop a powerful follow-up shot by Adam Marriot.

They came even closer just moments later. A long ball forward from goalkeeper Askew found Marshall in the box. He had the space to bring the ball down before crashing a shot against the bar. Despite the flag being raised, referee Conor Griffin allowed play to continue.

With five minutes until half-time, Ryan De Havilland whipped in a corner that missed everyone but clipped the crossbar on its way over.

Half-Time: Barnet 0-1 Brentford.

Barnet wasted no time getting level, just five minutes after the interval they scrambled the ball over the line to even things up. Hall’s cross was turned off the line by Nico Jones at the far post, but De Havilland was there to blast the ball beyond Matthew Cox. 1-1.

Soon after, it was Brentford piling on some pressure of their own. Alex Gilbert slipped a ball behind the Barnet defence, but Young-Coombes just couldn’t get the right connection on his shot and Askew could gather easily.

After an hour, the game was locked in the middle. It took a long-range strike from Grego-Cox to to liven things up. Cox was able to cling on to it in goal.

Grego-Cox went close after a neat lay-off from Marriot. His drive fizzed narrowly wide of the post. Then the veteran striker found a different teammate in Ephron Mason-Clarke but the result was the same. The number 11 turned on the spot but slashed his effort over the bar.

At the other end, substitute Myles Peart-Harris set Gordon to whip a cross in from the left. It just missed the head of Young-Coombes as Gilbert overran it at the far post too.

Brentford were handed a late chance to win it from 12 yards as Young-Coombes was tripped by Marshall on his way into the box. Marshall was booked, as was goalkeeper Askew for scuffing the penalty spot. Askew then threw himself to his left to parry the spot-kick away from danger, Young-Coombes missing his chance for a second of the night.

Barnet should have won it at the death, with just 30 seconds of normal time remaining, sub Daniel Powell sent a shot wide from six yards out. He’d been set behind by Mason-Clarke to go one-on-one with Cox but couldn’t turn it into the net.

Neither team could be separated after eight minutes of added time, meaning the tie went straight to penalties.

Powell scored the first penalty, Ryan Trevitt evening things out after the opening kicks. Adam Marriot then put Barnet ahead as Roy Syla sent his kick over the crossbar. Both Reece Grego-Cox and Alex Gilbert then missed penalties to keep it 2-1 after three rounds.

The fourth round saw both Ben Richards-Everton and Myles Peart-Harris net, setting up Ryan De Havilland to potentially score the winner. The midfielder drilled it in, confirming Barnet’s first MFA Cup win since 1933.

BRENTFORD B: Cox; Crama, Hockenhull, Jones; Gordon, Jefferies (sub Syla 88), Oksanen (sub Maghoma 77), Adedokun (sub Peart-Harris 70); Trevitt, Young-Coombes, Gilbert

Unused: Rees, Mpongo

Goals: Young-Coombes (23)

Bookings: Gilbert (35), Crama (68), Maghoma (90+1)

BARNET: Askew; Thomas, Marshall, Greenidge, Richards-Everton; De Havilland, Fonguck; Hall (sub Powell 75), Mason-Clarke (sub Walsh 90+3), Grego-Cox; Marriot

Unused: Azaze, Howe, Granville

Goals: De Havilland (50)

Bookings: De Havilland (8), Greenidge (38), Marshall (85), Askew (86)

Advertisement block