Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bees make cup progress

Women's First Team win Capital Cup tie

23 November 2021

Brentford FC Women’s First Team ran out 3-2 victors in an entertaining Capital Cup tie against Walton Casuals on Sunday. The Bees displayed fantastic character to twice fight back from going a goal behind to claim the win as Ellen Wardlaw, Jodie Reid and Kaitlyn Spencer-Dempsey got the goals. It was the first full 90 minutes for both Reid and Spencer-Dempsey, the forementioned certainly stepped up by getting themselves on the scoresheet.

Head Coach Karleigh Osborne is pleased with the strength in depth he has at his disposal and said: “Kaitlyn has worked hard today; she ran her socks off for the team. Jodie was again quality today, she scored last week and scored the second today to get us level. It just goes to show the quality we have in the team and that’s why it’s so hard to pick a starting 11 every Sunday. However, those are the problems that, as a coaching team, we want. Now it’s just about ticking off each game and fighting for each win so that we can push on.”

Mollie Holmes, the team captain, was forced off after just 14 minutes with a knee injury following a 50-50 collision in the middle of the park.

Karleigh added: “She has gone to get checked. I’m hoping it’s not too bad because she is an important player for us and has been fantastic all season.”

On the stroke of half time, it was Walton Casuals who broke the deadlock against the run of play. A free kick from inside their own half was lumped into the Brentford box and caused confusion between the defence and Stacey Bishopp in goal, the ball deceived Bishopp and found its way into the net.

There was a frantic beginning to the second half which saw three goals exchanged between the two sides in about 15 minutes. Ellen Wardlaw found the equaliser for Brentford after Laura Miller sent her through on goal, Wardlaw was composed when faced by the onrushing keeper and slotted the ball home nicely. Walton then retook the lead when they were alive to the loose ball first, their left winger fired an effort across goal and they reacted first to tap the rebound home.

On the hour-mark Reid produced a free kick right from the top drawer. About 25 yards from goal, she slammed her effort into the top left-hand corner giving the keeper absolutely no chance; making it two goals from two games in the process.

With the game on a knife edge, it was The Bees who found the decisive winner. A ball to the back post found Wardlaw and the winger fired it back across low and hard. Spencer-Dempsey was there to bundle the ball over the line, a messy goal in the end but Brentford won’t care about that.

Advertisement block