The EFL Trust is soon to be celebrating ten years of delivering NCS (National Citizen Service). Since the first pilots were delivered in the summer of 2011 with only a handful of Delivery Partners involved, 600,000 young people have taken part in NCS. They have gained priceless life experience and completing over 15 million hours of community action raising awareness of mental health and homelessness, tackling issues such as the environment and loneliness and redeveloping local spaces for the community to enjoy.
In a recent impact study conducted by NCS Trust the outcomes of the programme showed that:
- 70 per cent of participants felt more confident about getting a job in the future.
- For every £1 spent, NCS gave back £3.49 of benefits to society.
- 78 per cent of participants felt more positive about people from different backgrounds to themselves after attending NCS (2018 summer programme).
- 23 per cent of young people who participated in NCS during 2019 were on Free School Meals. This compares to 14 per cent of the comparable 16-17 year old population .
- Almost two in three NCS participants say they are more likely to help out in their local area after coming on NCS.
The EFL Trust is the charitable arm of the EFL and was established in 2008 to oversee the work of EFL’s club community organisations (CCOs), which has included Brentford FC Community Sports Trust for the past 13 years. The EFL Trust is responsible for distributing core funding from the Premier League and The PFA to each CCO and highlights community work done by clubs across the country, including at Brentford. A piece by EFL Trust about ten years of NCS can be seen here.
Registration is now open for the National Citizen Service (NCS) in summer 2021. Brentford FC Community Sports Trust engages thousands of young people aged 16 and 17, delivering NCS, programme funded by the Government. This is replicated by other community organisations across the country.
If you are in that category and want to make this summer one you’ll never forget, get yourself on NCS. Spots are open now! Sign up for new pals, and experiences that’ll show you just what you’re made of. See more here.
Through the English Football League Trust, over 1.8 million hours of voluntary work has been delivered addressing local and national issues which young people are passionate about such as mental health, the environment and plastic waste. In partnership with EFL Trust, Brentford FC Community Sports Trust won the contract to deliver NCS from 2020 onwards joining 65 delivery partners that will be managed by EFL Trust. For more information, please email the Trust's NCS Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.