The Last 16 draw of the Football Manager EFL Cup has thrown up a West London derby against Queens Park Rangers for Brentford manager Sam Jacques. The tie will be played on Tuesday 5 May with further match and coverage details to follow.
QPR, who unlike The Bees entered in the First Round, are represented by supporter Rob Facey. Their run to the Third Round has been fairly routine with a 2-0 win over Peterborough United followed up by a 3-1 victory over a Romaine Sawyers managed West Bromwich Albion.
Sam booked his spot in the Third Round with a penalty shootout victory over Shrewsbury Town last Wednesday. Ollie Watkins cancelled out Sean Goss' effort to send the game to extra-time. The extra 30 minutes saw Jason Cummings and Emiliano Marcondes trade early efforts before Christian Norgaard had a late winner chalked off for offside. The shootout saw David Raya save twice from the spot as we progressed 3-1.
Elsewhere, the three lowest-ranked sides left in the competition all face tough away trips with Bolton Wanderers heading to Middesbrough, Mansfield Town making the short trip to Nottingham Forest, and Wycombe Wanderers away at Fulham.
The tournament is a straight knockout competition with the final two teams left standing facing off in the showpiece final in mid-May. After each round is completed, highlights will be uploaded onto the FM YouTube channel for you to catch up on all of the action and there will be a full written round-up on the FM website.
As well as supporting The Bees during the tournament, you can also show your support for the EFL’s charity partner, Mind, the mental health charity. In these tough times their services are needed more than ever so while you’re being entertained by the action, please consider donating on this JustGiving page which will be open during the tournament.
EFL FOOTBALL MANAGER CUP SCHEDULE
• First round draw – Sunday 19 April
• First round match dates – Monday 20 April to Thursday 23 April
• The second round – week commencing 27 April
• The ‘round of 16’ – week commencing 4 May
• The quarter finals – 11-14 May
• The semi-finals – Saturday 16 May
• The final – Sunday 17 May
• Matches to be played on FM20 Touch Versus mode, teams must play as themselves.
• This is a straight knockout tournament, with all ties comprising one game. Each tie will go to Extra Time and Penalties, if necessary, to produce a winner.
• The ‘Home’ team of each tie will host the match
• Suspensions/Injuries won't carry over to the next round