Yesterday morning we unveiled Charlie Goode as our first signing of the summer. The defender joined on a four-year deal from Northampton Town with the option of a further year. Get to know more about our new man below.
- Charlie James Goode was born in Watford on 3 August 1995. An Arsenal fan, Goode’s hero was Thierry Henry.
- Goode began his career as a striker in the youth set-up at Fulham but was released aged 15 for being too small.
- After leaving Fulham, Goode dropped into the non-league scene. His senior debut came in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division for Hadley against Harefield United in August 2013. Charlie scored a diving header, one of three goals he netted in four games before a move to Hayes.
- The following season Charlie was a part of the Hendon squad which reached the Isthmian League Premier Division Play-Off final and won the London Senior Cup. It was also the season which saw him move from right back to the centre of defence.
- On 10 June 2015, Charlie made the leap from Step Seven into the Professional game, signing a two-year deal with Sky Bet League One side Scunthorpe United.
- Like his non-league debut, Charlie scored on his professional debut, netting a late consolation for The Iron in a 2-1 defeat to Burton Albion, a game which saw then Scunthorpe, and now Brentford, teammate, Luke Daniels, sent off.
- After 85 appearances, and six goals, at Glanford Park, Charlie moved to Northampton Town in January 2019. That initial loan move was made permanent last summer.
- Charlie was handed the captain’s armband on signing for The Cobblers, going on to play 45 of their 50 games in all competitions last term.
- Charlie rates Wayne Rooney as the toughest opponent he has come up against, the pair faced each other twice in the Fourth Round of last season’s Emirates FA Cup.
- His final act in a Northampton shirt was to lift the Sky Bet League Two Play-Off Final trophy at Wembley in June, following a 4-0 win over Exeter City.
Charlie is in our new 20/21 Umbro Training Wear Range. All colourways on this Umbro range feature a bold graphic usage in key visible zones.
Be sure to treat yourself, friends or family, purchase online now