Skip to main content Skip to site footer
First Team

Man of the Match for Ellery while Marcus scores before seeing red

The action for our players away from Griffin Park

23 September 2019

It was an all-action weekend for our players away from Griffin Park over the past few days.

In Denmark, Ellery Balcombe earned the Man of the Match award after helping Viborg to a 1-1 draw at home to Vendsyssel on Thursday night. Viborg netted early through Frederik Brandhof but were then indebted to Ellery for a string of fine saves to maintain the advantage. However, eventually the visitor's pressure told as Wessam Abou Ali netted with 16 minutes to play. 

VFF were then back in action again on Sunday, this time drawing 2-2 on the road at Naestved. Rafaelson gave the home side a 25th minute lead but Viborg turned the game around with goals from Emil Scheel and Christian Sivebaek either side of the interval. Ellery and his teammates were to be denied the three points by an 89th minute Ibrahim Laar goal. They do still lead the Danish First Division ahead of their Third Round Cup tie against AB on Wednesday. 

Marcus Forss endured a mixed afternoon for AFC Wimbledon, scoring his third goal in four games but then earning a first red card of his career. The striker slammed in the opener after 20 minutes, picking up a yellow card for his celebration. Abu Ogogo levelled before the interval with Marcus then picking up his second booking for a foul midway through the second-half. Jonson Clarke-Harris and Tony Craig took full advantage by netting in the final 15 minutes to leave Wimbledon with just three points from ten matches. 

Emiliano Marcondes played 80 minutes as FC Midtjylland's top-of-the-table clash with Copenhagen ended goalless on Sunday. FCM registered 15 shots as the away side but were unable to make that pressure tell at the Parken. They were then reduced to ten men in injury-time with Awer Mabil picking up his second yellow card. The point leaves FCM four clear at the top of the Superliga with Fremad Amager up next in the Danish Cup on Thursday. 

Elsewhere, Reece Cole played the full 90 minutes as Partick Thistle dropped to the foot of the Scottish Championship following a 3-0 defeat to Dunfermline Athletic. Canice Carroll wasn't involved as Carlisle United lost 3-1 to Bradford City and Justin Shaibu played the final ten minutes of Boreham Wood's 4-0 win over Stockport County in the National League. 

In Holland, Halil Dervişoğlu scored one and set another one up as Sparta Rotterdam cruised past bottom side RKC Waalwijk at the Sparta Stadion. Our January arrival teed up Bryan Smeets for the 15th minute opener before grabbing the game's third, and his third of the season, just after the break. The 4-0 win moves Sparta up to eighth in the table with another struggling side Fortuna Sittard up next Saturday evening. 

Advertisement block