Thursday October 10 1889 has been recognised as the day Brentford Football Club was officially formed, which means we are 130 years old today. The formation of Brentford Football Club in 1889 is owed to the decision by the Brentford Local Board [a forerunner of today's councils] to open a new Recreation Ground in the town. At a meeting convened on October 10 at the Pavilion of the Oxford and Cambridge Public House, adjacent to Kew Bridge, it was resolved that a Club should be formed to utilise the land for sporting purposes.
Six days later, a vote took place to decide which code of football would be played by the new side – association or rugby – with the round ball game winning by eight votes to five. Negotiations to use the Recreation Ground broke down, but the decision to form a Club continued, Brentford playing their first game against a Kew eleven on November 23, 1889 that resulted in a 1-1 draw. The Club became successful in County FA Competitions in the late Victorian era, winning the Middlesex Junior Cup in 1894, with further victories in both the Middlesex Senior and London Senior Cups four years later.
This year sees us celebrate our historic Griffin Park home, where we have played since 1904. But another key date in our Farewell Griffin Park season is our 130th anniversary, whiuch is celebrated today. If you want to read more about our history then full details can be seen here.
Another of the highlights of our season-long Farewell Griffin Park celebration is the game against Millwall next Saturday, 19 October. We will will mark our first-ever victory at our famous old stadium by donning a 1904-inspired third kit. Full information can be seen here.
The shirts are available at the Club Shop for £60*, with the first 400 purchasers receiving theirs in a limited-edition box. Don’t miss out, purchase yours online today.