Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Reece Cole's goal sets Partick Thistle up for Scottish Cup tie with Celtic

A round-up of the weekend action for our players away from Griffin Park

26 November 2019

Reece Cole scored for the second straight game as Partick Thistle made heavy work of seeing off East of Scotland League side Penicuik Athletic in the Third Round of the Scottish Challenge Cup on Saturday.

After a goal and assist against Stenhousemuir last weekend, Reece needed less than 90 seconds to net what proved to be the only goal at Firhill, volleying home across visiting keeper Robert Watt. The goal secured Partick’s progression through to the Fourth Round and sets up a home tie against Cup holders Celtic. Before that however, Partick host a bottom-of-the-table clash with Alloa Athletic tonight.

In Denmark, Emiliano Marcondes played the full 90 minutes as FC Midtjylland maintained their seven-point lead at the top of the Danish Superliga with a 2-1 win on the road at OB last night. Evander and Awer Mabil gave FCM a two-goal half-time lead which Bashkim Kadrii halved 12 minutes after the restart. That was how it finished to as Midtjylland prepare to host rock bottom Silkeborg next Monday.

There was no other action for our Young Bees in Europe with Ellery Balcombe suspended for Viborg FF’s 1-0 defeat at Vendsyssel while Halil Dervişoğlu was an unused sub as Sparta Rotterdam beat SBV Vitesse 2-0 in the Eredivisie.

Back on home soil, Marcus Forss played an hour as AFC Wimbledon moved up to 19th in Sky Bet League One following a 1-0 victory over Gillingham at Kingsmeadow. In League Two, Canice Carroll played the full 90 minutes as Carlisle United held Cambridge United to a 0-0 draw at Brunton Park. Out of the Emirates FA Cup, Wimbledon have no fixture this weekend while Canice and The Cumbrians face an all fourth-tier affair at Forest Green Rovers.

In the National League, Jaden Brissett and Jayden Onen were both unused substitutes for their respective clubs on Saturday. Jaden watched on as Maidenhead United were beaten 3-2 at home by Woking while Jayden’s first matchday as a Bromley player ended in a 2-0 win at Sutton United.

Justin Shiabu’s long trip to Hartlepool with Boreham Wood could have been so much better as The Wood let a two-goal lead slip to draw 2-2 at the Super 6 Stadium. When Justin played in Kabongo Tshimanga for Wood’s second after 50 minutes it looked like the points would be coming back down the A1. However, Nicky Featherstone pulled one back with 20 minutes to play before Gime Toure levelled from the spot in the closing minutes to deny Wood back-to-back league wins.

There’s a full programme in the National League tonight with all three of our loanees facing away trips. Boreham Wood head to Notts County while Bromley and Maidenhead United are on the road at Woking and Dover Athletic respectively.

Advertisement block