Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report & Match Action: Wealdstone 2-0 Brentford B

Bees lose cup rematch in Ruislip

29 July 2019

Brentford B were defeated 2-0 in a preseason friendly against Wealdstone on Saturday afternoon. Ross Lafayette scored both goals for the hosts, one either side of half-time as The Bees struggled in the final third.

This was the first time Neil MacFarlane didn't include a trialist in the squad this season. He also introduced Joe Adams, Arthur Read and Julian Carre to their first minutes in a Brentford shirt.

There was an early warning for The Bees when Danny Green's cross reached the far post. Chiedozie Ogbene was back to nod the ball off the line and Jonny Mitchell then bravely got in the way of the follow-up, leading to some treatment for the defender.

Green made his own chance after 12 minutes, driving into the box before shooting low towards the bottom right corner. Nathan Shepperd got himself down quickly to smother the ball.

Green was a danger just a few minutes later from a corner. The ball was floated to the back stick for Green to drill low at the target, once again Shepperd getting in the way and clutching the ball to his body.

The first goal came after 32 minutes, goalkeeper Joe Ringer starting the attack with a long ball forward. Danny Green brought it down, then laid it into the path of Lafayette and the forward tucked it beyond Shepperd into the bottom corner.


With 35 minutes gone, Read played it out to Ogbene on the right wing. Ogbene used his pace to burst down the right, then crossed deep into the box but Gustav Mogensen wasn't there in time and it missed Jaden Brissett on the left.

Moments later, David Titov spotted a superb crossfield pass to Cole Dasilva and the fullback slipped a superb pass down the left for Brissett to cross into the middle. Again, his effort just evaded Mogensen under pressure from Stones captain Jerome Okimo.

After 37 minutes, Reece Cole picked out the run of Read towards the box only for the midfielder to be clipped by Michael Phillips. The free-kick was taken by Cole himself, fired at the target and only knocked away by the head of Connor Smith in the wall.

At the break, MacFarlane made several changes, including a swap between the sticks with Simon Andersson stepping in for the second 45 minutes. Jayden Onen and Julien Carre joined the midfield, while Nick Tsaroulla was the only change in the back four.


Brentford started brightly, Read getting space for a shot on the edge of the box. This was again blocked by Smith, throwing himself in the way.

With just over an hour gone, Brentford had possibly the best chance to level things. Mogensen shut down a poor pass out from Okimo, then chased down the ball ahead of keeper Ringer. Turning into the box, he had Onen and Read advancing but took too much time to release it, instead allowing the Stones captain to atone for his error by sliding in and getting the ball back.

Straight down the other end, The Stones almost had a second. Kane O'Connor failed to control a pass from Mitchell, gifting possession to Sanchez Watt on the edge of the box. He slid a pass to Lafayette but the strike couldn't keep his effort down, sending it over Andersson but also the crossbar.

With 66 on the clock, Lafayette nodded a long ball into the path of Clifford. One-on-one, he flicked the ball at goal but Andersson reacted quickly and palmed the ball away.

With 20 to go, Kane O'Connor sliced open The Stones with a pass to Joe Adams on the left. He reached the byline and fizzed a cross in front of the opposition goalline but no one was in the centre to try and get a touch on it.

Moments later, Onen played a ball for Titov to chase in behind on the right. He raced away from Michael Efete but couldn't quite get his shot on target. With Efete chasing him down, Titov slammed the shot into the side netting.

Next it was substitute Jacob Mendy having a go. He collected a cross from Dennon Lewis, composed himself and drove the ball narrowly wide of the goal.


On 80 minutes, fullback Nick Arnold didn't spot that he was being closed down by Adams. The Brentford man robbed the ball and then headed into the box. Arnold recovered in time to get his leg in the way of the shot and it bounced away from danger.

The second goal came just six minutes from time, with The Bees pressing on for an equaliser. A quick counter from The Stones saw Green put in a low cross and there was Lafayette again to poke home from just in front of goalkeeper Andersson.

Brentford B: Shepperd (Andersson h/t); Titov, O'Connor, Mitchell, Dasilva (Tsaroulla h/t); Jensen (Onen h/t), Cole (Carre h/t), Read (Adams 62); Brissett, Mogensen, Ogbene (Majka 62)

Wealdstone: Ringer; Arnold, Stevens, Okimo, Efete; Phillips, Smith; Green (Trialist 78), Clifford (Lewis 74), Watt (Mendy 67); Lafayette (Richards 87)

Subs (not used): Paterson, Sheppard, Coker, Sellers, Saunders, Cook, Noel-Williams

Advertisement block