Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report & Match Action: Chelsea 7-1 Brentford B

Blues show quality in victory over Bees at Cobham Training Centre

13 July 2019

Brentford B were beaten 7-1 by Chelsea at Cobham Training Centre on Saturday afternoon. The Blues showed outstanding quality as Brentford fielded a makeshift team in Surrey, the game played out in three half-hour sections.

The home side took the lead inside the first 10 minutes. David Titov brought down Izzy Brown as he drove into the box, the referee pointing to the penalty spot. Brown stepped up to score the penalty himself, sending Nathan Shepperd the wrong way.

Shepperd had to be sharp to stop Jonny Mitchell sending one into his own net a few minutes later. The defender knocked a low cross towards goal but the keeper was able to get his body behind it.

Christian Tue Jensen was then told off by the referee for fouling a Blue shirt on the edge of the box. Lewis Baker sent the following free-kick narrowly over the apex of the goal.

After 28 minutes, Chelsea had a second. A deep corner to the far post saw Trevoh Chalobah rise highest to nod the ball over both defender and goalkeeper, and into the net.

Just before the first break in play, Jaden Brissett thought he'd snuck in a goal back but for a strong save by Mitchell Beeney. The keeper reacted quickly as the ball slipped through a crowd of blue shirts to knock it away.


Chelsea were further ahead just six minutes after the restart. Dujon Sterling collected the ball from a neat pass into the box and then drilled it low into the bottom left corner of the net.

A matter of moments later, it was 4-0. Brown played the ball over Shepperd, but it dropped wide. Jacob Maddox rescued it and fired in another low cross. The first attempt by Baker was saved by the keeper but his rebound was finished emphatically into the roof of the net.

Jensen came close to getting one back after 45 minutes, clipping a free-kick towards goal that was saved by Beeney. Seconds later he saw Beeney deny him again from close range after Brentford had won the ball back quickly in midfield.

It should have been five for the hosts just before the hour. A perfectly clipped pass by Baker found Brown inside the box, but his contact on the ball was poor and it squirmed wide of the target.


Only a few seconds into the third period of time, Chelsea scored again. Substitute George McEachran clipped a ball over to Luke McCormick and he finished past Simon Andersson with style. 

Quarter of an hour later, McCormick added his second and Chelsea's sixth. A through ball beyond the Brentford back line saw the Blue go one-on-one with Andersson. The striker tucked the ball between the goalie's legs and wheeled away in celebration. 

Five minutes from time, Brentford had their goal. A neat move from back to front, it ended with a trialist sweeping the ball home inside the area. 

Andersson then pulled off a save to his left to deny McCormick a hat-trick. The ball came in from the left and the Chelsea man was left unmarked to strike at goal. The keeper got across to parry it away.

In the dying seconds, Marc Guehi rose high in the penalty area to nod the ball into the net. It bounced down then evaded Andersson on the way into make the final score 7-1 to a ruthless home side.

Chelsea XI: Beeney; Grant, Hector, Chalobah, Sterling; Baker, Gallagher, Piazon; Brown, Maddox, Ugbo

Brentford B: Shepperd (Andersson 60); Titov (Trialist 60), O'Connor (Trialist 60), Mitchell (Trialist 60), Trialist (Trialist 60); Jensen (Trialist 60), Onen (Brissett 75), Brissett (Saunders 60); Majka (Trialist 60), Mogensen (Trialist 60), Ogbene (Trialist 60)

Advertisement block