Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bayern Munich 2 Brentford B 5

Bees give five-star performance in snowy Germany

12 January 2019

Bayern Munich’s youngsters were beaten 5-2 by Brentford B on Saturday afternoon in Germany. Cole Dasilva opened the scoring before Joe Hardy netted the first of a brace, then Nikolaj Kirk and Reece Cole added goals of their own either side of Hardy’s second strike.

Lars Friis’ squad were down to bare bones thanks to international calls, illness and injury. David Titov was recalled to a role in the back four, with Kirk shifting into a central position as cover. Jayden Onen started his first game for The Bees, a fifth overall in Brentford colours.

In freezing conditions at FCB Campus, the game began on a pitch that had been cleared of deep snow earlier that morning, allowing the Bayern Women’s team the chance to train on it before the fixture started.

After ten minutes, Bayern forced the first real chance. A free header from Benedict Hollerbach missed the target but then Louis Poznanski drilled in the rebound. Patrik Gunnarsson got down smartly to save it.

Down the other end, two minutes later, it was one-nil to Brentford B. Dasilva broke down the left, gave the ball to Henrik Johansson and then accelerated into space. He collected the ball back, then shot low into the bottom left corner of the net. The goalkeeper dived but couldn’t reach the ball as Dasilva netted his second of the season.

A few minutes later it might have been a goal each, had Hollerbach managed to connect with his shot properly. The ball had come down from height when he tried to volley it at goal, only for it to cannon off his shin and make for an easy save for Gunnarsson.

With just over 20 minutes on the clock, Brentford were given a penalty. Johansson had whipped the ball in and defender Dennis Waidner made contact with his hand as it burst through the crowd in the box. The referee spotted it and pointed to the spot. Hardy stepped up to slot his first of the game into the bottom corner, the goalkeeper diving the wrong way.

Again, Bayern mustered a chance almost immediately. Waidner chipped the ball to the edge of the box, where Hollerbach was once again the receiver. This time the number 22 struck it cleanly but it soared over the crossbar.

Soon after, the home side were in behind again. Jonas Kehl crossed high from the right wing, Gunnarsson punching it away in the centre. The ball fell to Jahn Herrmann on the follow-up, who struck it low but found Gunnarsson in the way with a strong parry.

After half an hour, Theo Archibald saw a goal chalked off that he certainly felt was harsh. It was Johansson with another ball in from the right, with goalkeeper Lukas Schneller coming to meet it. The punch didn’t go as planned, looping back to the far post where Archibald nodded home under pressure from Kehl. The referee blew the whistle for a foul on the defender.

Bayern were back in the game after 34 minutes. Luka Racic was put under pressure by early substitute Alexander Lungwitz, with Gunnarsson sprinting out to try and meet the ball into his penalty area. Neither Racic nor Gunnarsson made a clean job of it, the ball rolled free and Lungwitz had an empty net to sweep it into.

After half-time it was Brentford that took control. Racic showed early signs that Brentford could be dangerous from set-pieces when he nodded a free header over the bar with 53 minutes gone.

Four minutes later, Kirk was in the right place to nod one in from close range after getting on the end of a free-kick from Cole. Archibald had forced the mistake from Kehl, handballing his cross on the edge of the box.

With an hour gone, Hardy grabbed his second of the game and what a strike it was. Dasilva played the pass to him on the edge of the box, where Hardy scooped it up into the air and watched it sail beyond the reach of sub keeper Michael Wagner. That’s goal number 22 for the season in game number 27 for Hardy.

A few minutes later, Friis introduced Matej Majka and a trialist into the game. Johansson and Onen made way, both staying warm as Bayern had agreed to rolling subs in the event of an injury. That rule would help a struggling Racic later in the game.

With 73 minutes gone, Cole netted Brentford’s fifth of the game and his fifth of the season with a low struck free-kick. He hit it hard and below the wall, taking a touch off one of the defenders, and that carried it away from the wrong-footed Wagner.

With quarter of an hour left, goalkeeper Simon Andersson replaced Gunnarsson between the sticks. He was in action soon after, coming out quickly to dive at the feet of Lungwitz on the edge of his box.

After 84 minutes, Racic needed to be replaced by Onen coming back on to the field. The defender had a problem with his leg and couldn’t continue.

Three minutes before the end, Bayern had their second and so did Lungwitz. A cross-turned-shot from the right was palmed away from goal by Andersson, only for Lungwitz to nod it back across goal from the left side of the box. It looped over everyone and clipped the far post on its way into the net.

Bayern Munich: Schneller (sub Wagner h/t); Kehl, Richards, Mihaljevic, Poznanski (sub Lungwitz 30); Waidner, Johansson (sub Butler 63), Herrmann; Andersson, Hollerbach, Jelisic

Brentford B: Gunnarsson (sub Andersson 75); Titov, Racic (sub Onen 84), Kirk, Dasilva; Cole, Zamburek, Onen (sub Trialist 65); Archibald, Hardy, Johansson (sub Majka 65)

Advertisement block