Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Brentford B 0-1 Dortmund II

Sucker punch for Bees as BVB net late winner

3 February 2019

Brentford B suffered last-minute heartbreak when Borussia Dortmund scored an added time winner to snatch a 1-0 victory in Portugal today.

After a game that saw two well-matched teams go toe-to-toe at full throttle, a goal from Gianluca Rizzo in the 91st minute was all that could separate the two squads.

Lars Friis called on Jarvis Edobor to replace the injured Luka Racic in the back four, which also included Theo Archibald at left-back again. Jaden Brissett started his first game for The Bees in attack, playing opposite Henrik Johansson on the other wing.

It was almost Johansson who gave his side an early lead after just 30 seconds. Some heavy pressure on goalkeeper Jan Reckert forced a short pass to Kolbeinn Finnsson, who then found the Swedish forward in space. Johansson successfully lobbed the goalie, but it was Julian Schwermann who managed to hook it off the line in the nick of time.

After only 11 minutes Ali Coote picked up an injury and needed to be subbed for Jan Zamburek. The Czech had started in the previous two matches with AGF and Slavia Prague, but his rest period was cut short when Coote looked to have pulled a muscle when chasing back.

With 22 minutes gone, Marcus Forss tried to get on the end of a Finnsson corner-kick at the near post but Philipp Hanke bravely got in the way, taking a knock on his ankle in the process. He needed a few minutes of treatment before returning to the field.

Dortmund looked like they had unlocked the Brentford defence after 29 minutes, Denzeil Boadu racing away off a one-two just outside the box. Edobor had other ideas, timing a sliding tackle to perfection to rip the ball away from the attacker just as he wound up to shoot.

The game saw three Brentford players go into the referee’s book, Archibald the first of these after half an hour. His challenge on Hanke as the defender collected the ball was a step too far for the officials, who had let tackles on both sides go unchecked until then in the opening exchanges.

A few minutes later Archibald was almost provider with a low whipped cross into the box from the left. It missed everyone running in from the centre and was just too much for Johansson at the far post as well.

Jayden Onen was the next man to see a yellow card in red and white stripes. Tempers flared in the middle of the park after he clipped the heels of Dominik Wanner, who also picked up a booking for his fiery reaction.

At the break, nothing was between the two teams. Friis opted to bring in Joe Hardy for Marcus Forss up top, the Finnish striker still making his way back from injury replaced by the Club’s highest scoring player this season. Dortmund made six changes to their team during the interval.

Within a minute, Wanner nearly opened the scoring with a shot that fizzed just over the crossbar. It had come from the left side, and the ball had been set back to him just inside the penalty area but he couldn’t keep the effort down.

After an hour, Archibald drilled a low ball through a crowd of players that almost found Edobor. The defender couldn’t get the ball to drop for him and it was cleared long before he could take advantage.

Cole Dasilva almost provided a great assist when he clipped a ball over the top of the Dortmund defence but his pass was blocked. Brissett smashed the ball back into the danger area and it missed Hardy by inches in the middle.

Then it was Luka Kilian who almost broke the back line. He darted beyond three players down the right before finally meeting his match in Edobor. The 19-year-old timed his tackled superbly again, knocking the ball clear as Kilian tried to get around him.

Jonny Mitchell made his return to action after 77 minutes, finally taking to the field after missing the opening two fixtures in Portugal. The Scottish midfielder was also joined by Matej Majka, replacing Brissett shortly beforehand.

With 90 minutes on the clock, Dortmund got themselves a free-kick just outside the box. Taylan Duman stepped up and drove it over the wall, Patrik Gunnarsson pulling off a great save to knock the ball over the crossbar with his left hand.

In added time, Brentford were awarded a free-kick of their own. That’s when Dortmund struck. Archibald and Dasilva took the free-kick quickly between them, lost possession and the counter attack was clinical.

Brentford B: Gunnarsson; Dasilva, Kirk, Edobor, Archibald; Coote (sub Zamburek 11), Onen, Finnsson; Johansson (sub Mitchell 77), Forss (sub Hardy h/t), Brissett (sub Majka 69)

Subs: Andersson, Oksanen

Dortmund II: Reckert; Hanke (sub Kilian h/t), Schwermann, Konate, Scuderi (sub Sechelmann h/t); Lorenco (sub Hober h/t), Ornatelli (sub Rente h/t); Duman, Boadu (sub Baxmann h/t), Wanner; Ametov (sub Rizzo h/t)

Advertisement block