Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report & Match Action: FC Midtjylland 2-3 Brentford B

Dramatic game sees 10-man Bees victorious over FCM in Denmark

9 August 2019

Brentford B won 3-2 over FC Midtjylland Reserves on Friday morning in Ikast. The game had it all; a red card, a disallowed opener, a penalty save, five goals and plenty of added time.

Fredrik Hammar scored two in the second half, as the hosts cancelled both out late on. Then Gustav Mogensen was dragged back in the box, the referee awarded a penalty and Joe Adams tucked it away in the dying seconds.

The first half got off to a slow start. The first chance didn't fall until 13 minutes in, Kolbeinn Finnsson driving a shot at goal that was blocked by a defender.

After 18, Hammar looked likely to score when Mogensen, a quality presence all afternoon, managed to get to the ball before the keeper. His cross found Hammar, who nodded it towards goal, the ball dropping just over the crossbar.

Christian Tue Jensen went close with 26 minutes gone, collecting a cross from Mogensen but firing the ball narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

At half-time, with only a handful of chances to speak of, the game looked pretty settled. The second period was an entirely different story.

Hammar opened the scoring just six minutes into the second 45. A ball across the box from Adams was missed by Mogensen but smashed home at the far post by the Swedish midfielder.

Brentford went down to 10 after 62 minutes. Jonny Mitchell was sent off for a foul on FCM's forward driving into the box, as the last man back saving his goalkeeper from a one-on-one the referee had no option. There seemed to be a debate as to whether the striker had slipped, but the decision stood.

To make matters worse, Arthur Read was then said to have handled the ball as the following free-kick approached the goal. Penalty given. Up stepped a Midtjylland player, but Nathan Shepperd denied him with a strong right-handed save.

The home side did equalise shortly after, with 77 gone, capitalising on a goalmouth scramble to slam home their opening goal. Read was unlucky that his brave first block had fallen to an opponent just inside the area.

Brentford then went to the other end and scored in the 83rd minute. Mogensen slipped the ball back towards Hammar near the penalty spot and there he lifted his shot into the top left corner.

Midtjylland then got a second back, what felt like a real sucker-punch in the dying moments of the game. A free-kick, hit low around the wall on 88 minutes, snuck beyond Shepperd and dipped inside the far post.

The B squad weren't done though. With 90 minutes just seconds away, Mogensen darted into the box with the ball but was dragged back by his defender. He stayed on his feet and this time was rewarded for his honesty, the whistle indicating a stoppage and then the referee pointing to the spot.

Joe Adams grabbed the ball to take it. Taking his time, he placed it and then drove it into the bottom corner. The goalkeeper guessed right but was never getting near it. 

Brentford B: Shepperd; Titov, O'Connor, Mitchell (Sent Off 62), Tsaroulla (Trialist 67); Oksanen (Read 58), Hammar, Tue Jensen (Carre 58); Adams, Mogensen, Finnsson (Brissett h/t)

Advertisement block