Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Welling United 1-0 Brentford B

United crowned London Cup champions in Finchley

9 April 2019

Brentford B were beaten 1-0 in the London FA Senior Cup Final by Welling United this evening. Mohamed Bettamer scored the only goal of the game in the first half to grab Steve King's men the trophy.

Lars Friis made five changes to the side that beat Genoa B 6-1 last week in Italy. Jarvis Edobor came into the back four to make his 90th overall B Team appearance. Fredrik Hammar replaced Henrik Johansson in the middle of the park, while the front three were completely different. Joe Hardy, Theo Archibald and Jan Zamburek were a brand new combination up top.

The Wings included three of their starting XI from the previous 2-1 win over Bath City in the National League South; Dan Wilks, Craig Braham-Barrett and Arnaud Mendy.

Archibald went close in the first five minutes for The Bees. He raced clear of the defence, rounded the goalkeeper but then ran too far wide. Crossing the ball back in he found Hardy but the striker saw his shot blocked bravely.

Welling had the next chance barely 60 seconds later. A free-kick from Luke Rooney found Josh Hill's head at the far post. The defender couldn't direct it at the target and it came to nothing.

With 10 minutes gone, Zamburek looked up and saw Wilks off his line. Going for goal from the halfway line, the ball beat the keeper but dropped agonisingly wide of the post.

Welling's next chance was a carbon copy of the first. Rooney crossed it deep for Bettamer to head, but again it wasn't on target and Gunnarsson could watch it wide.

After 21 minutes, Archibald had another go. This time a neat free-kick routine with Ali Coote found the winger in space, the shot squirmed narrowly away from the right post.

After half an hour, Hardy went close again. This time his shot was as he broke into the box on the left side, volleying it towards the far post. Wilks threw himself to his left but was helpless as, luckily for him, it flew off target.

Just before the break, Welling snatched the lead. A cross from the right by Nassim L'Ghoul was met by Battamer on the header but it crashed against the crossbar. Bouncing down off the line, with Gunnarsson on the floor, Bettamer nodded it again and this time saw it hit the back of the net.

Brentford could have gone into the break level just before the whistle. Hammar turned on the edge of the box and struck it hard at goal, Wilks making a fine save to parry it away. Hardy volleyed the follow-up at goal but there was Wilks again to clutch onto the rebound.


After the break, referee Michael Chard was forced to stop the game when Coote was knocked to the floor in the middle, landing awkwardly. After a long stoppage, the captain was cleared to play-on and returned to the field. 

David Titov tried to find a man with a cross from the right, which suddenly had Wilks panicked when it spiralled towards goal. The ball looped just north of the bar as the keeper stuck out a hand to prevent it creeping in.

L'Ghoul looked like he might worry Gunnarsson on the hour, the ball falling nicely to him on the edge of the box. Jonny Mitchell threw himself in the way and got enough on the shot to see it over the bar.

Friis made his first change shortly after, replacing Hammar with Johansson in the middle. Then Gustav Mogensen came on for Coote shortly after, adding more to the attack.

Rooney had the next effort, bursting into the box from the left and striking it as it bounced up in front of him. Gunnarsson did well to grab it in mid-air and hold on as Newton lurked for a possible rebound.

A few minutes later, Bettamer knocked the Brentford keeper to the floor as he tried to start play early. Mr Chard decided against showing a yellow card to the striker, despite the cynical nature of the challenge. 

A few minutes later the goalscorer was involved in a challenge with Titov on the near side, the crowd gesturing a stamp. The officials awarded Bettamer a booking this time.

After 82 minutes, Johansson thought he had levelled things. Darting after a ball inside the box, he took aim and clipped a shot just beyond Wilks' right hand towards goal. It rolled away from Mogensen in the middle and missed Hardy at the far post too. So close for The Bees.

Matej Majka came on for Zamburek in the final few minutes and could have had seen a penalty when he collided with Richard Orlu in the box. The referee waved play on as Kolbeinn Finnsson tried a shot on the turn. 

In the final minute of regular time, Majka saw a shot blocked on the edge of the box and then Hardy had a similar outcome with his rebound. Welling were frustrating Brentford with nearly every man behind the ball.

It continued into added time as Hardy and Mogensen both saw efforts blocked by centre-backs Orlu and Hill. With time ticking away, United broke free and put the ball into the corner. From there, it was all they needed to see things out and claim their first London Cup Final victory since 1990.

Welling United: Wilks; Braham-Barrett, Orlu, Hill, Genovesi; Mendy (sub Ijaha 86), Rooney; L'Ghoul (sub Kiernan 72), Agyemang, Newton; Bettamer

Subs (not used): Quebe, Mendes, Audel

Brentford B: Gunnarsson; Titov, Edobor, Mitchell, Dasilva; Coote (sub Mogensen 74), Hammar (sub Johansson 61), Zamburek (sub Majka 84); Archibald, Hardy, Finnsson

Subs (not used): Brissett, Onen

Advertisement block