Wednesday's Carabao Cup Third Round tie against Arsenal will see Video Assistant Referee (VAR) used in a Brentford game for the first time ever.
The EFL confirmed in the summer that VAR would feature in selected Carabao Cup fixtures this season, with Wednesday's trip to The Emirates among those to be chosen.
Fans inside the stadium will be kept abreast of in-game developments with the same notification process as was used in the Community Shield as the video officials, based remotely at Stockley Park, assist the referee in ONLY four match changing situations:
- Penalty/no penalty decisions
- Direct red cards shown or not shown (second yellow cards are not able to be reviewed)
- Mistaken identity
The original decision of the referee on the pitch can only be changed if a video review shows a clear and obvious error.
Arsenal and the PGMOL will be responsible for keeping fans inside The Emirates informed, with messages bearing the following information used as appropriate on the screens present at The Emirates:
- VAR Check in Progress
- VAR Check In Progress – Checking Goal
- VAR Check In Progress – Checking Penalty
- VAR Check In Progress – Checking Red Card
- VAR Check In Progress – Checking Mistaken Identity
- VAR Check Complete
- VAR Check Complete – Original Decision Overturned