Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Brentford B 1 Huddersfield Town EDT 3

Reece Cole strike not enough as Bees are defeated at home

12 September 2018

Brentford B were beaten 3-1 by Huddersfield Town Development Squad at Jersey Road on Wednesday afternoon. The home side took the lead through Reece Cole in the first half but the visitors replied immediately before going on to secure the match in the second half.

Kevin O'Connor included Moses Odubajo in the team that started the afternoon's encounter, alongside Mads Bech Sorensen and Luka Racic in defence. Goalkeeper Patrik Gunnarsson was the only player who played international football last week to make the starting XI. Town included four First Team players, including goalkeeper Ryan Schofield and Juninho Bacuna. 

The Bees took the lead after only seven minutes. Ali Coote found a pass to Odubajo, who was tripped by Aaron Rowe as he made a burst for the box. Cole stepped up to place the ball down before shooting at goal, finding the top left corner to put his team a goal ahead.

Town were right back in the game, only five minutes later they had levelled the score. Rarmani Edmonds-Green nodded down a Gunnarsson goal-kick, Colin Quaner collected it and from then on it was a terrific solo goal. Sweeping forward, he beat Nikolaj Kirk on the wing, then cut inside and rounded Sorensen. Luka Racic sprinted across to get in the way but it wasn't enough, Quaner slipped the ball under the defender and past Gunnarsson into the net.

The Terriers had taken the lead before the half-hour mark. A long ball forward by goalkeeper Schofield was brought down by Hamid Sabiri. The winger knocked it forward, shrugged off a challenge from Sorensen and then struck the ball low into the bottom left corner from a narrow angle.

Just before half-time Cole had another chance from free-kick range when Joe Hardy was downed by Edmonds-Green in a similar area to the first set piece. This time he couldn't keep the ball down and it sailed over the crossbar. 

Hardy himself then sent one over the top in the final seconds of added time. Collecting a through ball from Odubajo, he turned into space before lashing the chance high and wide of the target. 

After the restart, Brentford continued the push to get back on level terms. Canice Carroll had the best chance straight away when he turned in the box and struck one on the volley, only for Schofield to parry at close range.

A couple of minutes later it was Hardy who was in on goal. Cole took a quick free-kick in the middle of the field allowing Ali Coote to push forward. He slotted a pass through to Hardy, who turned onto his left foot but struck his effort just over the top left of the goal.

A perfectly-timed pass from Juninho Bacuna found Demeaco Duhaney on the right after 73 minutes. He darted down the wing, then cut inside, barged Sorensen off the ball before tucking his finish just inside the post past Gunnarsson to make it 3-1.

Brentford B: Gunnarsson; Odubajo (sub C. Dasilva 75), Racic, Sorensen, Kirk; Carroll, Coote (sub Zamburek 70), Cole (sub Mitchell 84); Trialist-FW, Hardy, Finnsson (sub Majka 70)

Subs (not used): Edobor, Oliver

Huddersfield: Schofield; O’Malley (sub Crichlow-Noble 78), Spratt, Edmonds-Green, Duhaney; High, Bacuna; Rowe (sub Daly 60), Sabiri, Dyson; Quaner

Subs (not used): Rosario, Marriott, Obiero

Advertisement block