Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Brentford 1 Hull City 1

Spoils shared on final day of season

6 May 2018

Your Brentford v Hull City match report powered by Utilita

Brentford brought their 2017/18 Sky Bet Championship season to a close with a 1-1 draw against Hull City. The Bees dominated long stages of the match and had the lead thanks to a Sergi Canós goal. But Hull levelled late in the first half and Brentford could not turn their second half pressure and chances in to a winner. It could, indeed, have been worse for The Bees as Luke Daniels saved a penalty from Hull’s Harry Wilson in the second half to ensure his team took a point.

The draw, even coming with a penalty save, will be a frustrating way for Brentford to end their season. The Bees had the upper hand for most of the afternoon and had the chances to have taken the points. But they conceded against the run of play and couldn’t find a winner in the second half. It means they finish the season in ninth place, three places and six points outside the Play-Off places.

The game started at a pedestrian speed with Hull taking control of the ball. The visitors were content to play in their own half for much of the opening five minutes but as soon as The Bees got in to their stride and upped the tempo, it was the hosts that took the initiative. The industry of Brentford’s midfield, particularly Canós and Alan Judge on the flanks was too much for Hull and The Bees took command.

And it only took them 12 minutes to turn that control in to the lead. It came when the hosts failed to deal with a whipped cross from Judge after a spell of pressure on the right, Emiliano Marcondes Camargo Hansen rose highest and his header was nodded home by Canós. The Bees won two headers in Hull territory that they had no right to win and that gave them the lead.

It was a lead they should have had a few minutes earlier when a clever pass from Nico Yennaris put Emiliano clear inside the penalty area with only David Marshall to beat but he toe-poked wide from ten yards. A flick from Emiliano also looked set to put Canós away but Ondřej Mazuch came across to make an important tackle. That was the last action for Hull left back as he limped off soon after.

That change, and the subsequent reshuffle, could have upset the hosts as Brentford had complete control for most of the first half. With Canós and Judge drifting across the line and Emiliano dropping in to space to supplement the dominant midfield trio of Josh McEachran, Lewis Macleod and Kamohelo Mokotjo, The Bees were on the front foot. They pushed Hull back and played in the visitors’ half. It seemed to be a matter of when Brentford would add to their lead.

David Marshall saved from Judge before making a better stop to tip a rising drive from Macleod over the bar. The resulting corner was half cleared and Macleod’s delivery found John Egan ten yards out but he nodded over the bar. Macleod then fired across the face of goal after getting on to another astute pass from McEachran, Judge managed to retrieve the ball at the far post but lashed in to the side netting.

Chances continued to come and go for The Bees as half time approached. Judge fired weakly from 20 yards after cutting inside and then smashed over the bar when a corner was half cleared. Judge was creator soon after when his disguised pass got Emiliano in behind on the left side of the penalty area, he got to the ball ahead of Marshall and played it past the Hull goalkeeper but Fikayo Tomori was well placed to clear.

The visitors had offered almost nothing in the first half. Wilson lashed over from distance and also let fly on the volley with an effort that was easy for Luke Daniels on his league debut for Brentford. But in first half stoppage time, they conjured an equaliser out of nothing. Wilson lifted a cross to the far post, Jon Toral headed back across and Jarrod Bowen arrived to poke home from ten yards and send the teams in level at the break.

That equaliser could have affected Brentford’s momentum but the hosts went on the attack early in the second half. Egan met a Macleod corner with a flicked header that was cleared deep inside the six-yard box and Mokotjo lashed over from 12 yards on the run after Emiliano had crossed superbly in to the box from the right. Macleod also lifted an effort over from the edge of the penalty area after Brentford had repeatedly probed for an opening.

But as much as Brentford were dominating, Hull were starting to look for openings on the counter-attack and should have been ahead before the hour mark. There was a brave block from Egan when Toral let fly from 20 yards and moments later Hull were awarded a penalty. A poor kick from Daniels presented the ball to Evandro and the Brentford goalkeeper then brought down Fraizer Campbell as he tried to correct his error, leaving referee James Linington with little option but to award a penalty. Wilson took it but Daniels made amends by diving to his right and pushing away the spot kick.

Those chances came as the game started to drift and Brentford made changes to try and ensure they had the upper hand in the closing stages. Ryan Woods and Ollie Watkins were introduced with Chiedozie Ogbene following soon after and that gave Brentford renewed impetus. Marshall flew to his right to save an Emiliano free kick and the same man then saw a shot blocked after an effort from Woods had been similarly stopped by defenders.

Toral flicked a dangerous McEachran free kick just over his own bar and Judge shot wide before a lung-busting run from Ogbene almost set up Watkins but he was crowded out. Kevin Stewart lashed over for the visitors and a combination of Egan and Daniels prevented Campbell converting a Wilson cross but The Bees looked most likely to get a winner if one was to come.

Ogbene saw a shot blocked and Marshall saved from Mokotjo after Emiliano had flicked on a Judge cross. Watkins then saw a header deflect wide from the resulting corner. A poor pass from Dan Batty allowed Watkins a run at goal but he fed Ogbene and the shot was blocked. Judge fired inches wide at the death before crossing for Emiliano to head over. And that was as close as Brentford came to ending with a win, having to settle for a point to bring the season to a close.

Brentford: Daniels; Yennaris, Egan, Barbet, Clarke; McEachran (sub Ogbene 78 mins); Judge, Macleod (sub Woods 61 mins), Mokotjo, Canós (sub Watkins 61 mins); Emiliano

Subs (not used): Bentley, Sørensen, Field, Maupay

Hull City: Marshall; Tomori, Kingsley, Hector, Mazuch (sub Aina 8 mins); Larsson (sub Stewart 52 mins), Batty; Bowen (sub Evandro 50 mins), Toral, Wilson; Campbell

Subs (not used): Burton, Dicko, Keane, Henriksen

Attendance: 11,475 (1,310 away fans)

Advertisement block