Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Futsal Bees exit at group stage of the FLT Trophy

Bad day for Futsal side

5 May 2018

Brentford FC’s Futsal squad had a disappointing day at The EFLT Futsal Trophy Finals at The Derby Arena earlier this week. The Bees were drawn in Group B with Fleetwood Town, Port Vale and Scunthorpe United. It meant a re-match with Scunthorpe, who The Bees had met in the previous round-robin stage of the tournament.

Having won three and drawn one of their last four league games, which also qualified Brentford for the EFLT Championship Play-Offs, the young scholars were in good form and had plenty to be confident about. First up for Brentford’s students, from West London College, were Scunthorpe and it wasTthe Bees who held a 2-0 lead and looked in little danger of conceding that when a defensive lapse allowed The Iron to pull one back.

Another defensive lapse from a corner, saw Scunthorpe equalise and it was Brentford who were now on the back foot. Brentford conceded a third and time ran out as they chased an equaliser.

Next up for Brentford were Fleetwood (the eventual winners). Brentford found themselves 1-0 down in the early stages of the game and despite having good possession were struggling to make chances. With the clock running down and less than three minutes to play, The Bees were awarded a penalty. Said Gutale stepped up and slammed it home.

Brentford went looking for the winner that would keep them in the competition. And it came with less than 30 seconds to go. That meant the three points were secured and The Bees were still in the competition.

With three teams still capable of progressing, the final game for The Bees was against Port Vale while Scunthorpe, who had qualified for the next stage, played Fleetwood. A poor start from Brentford allowed Port Vale to capitalise and take the lead after four minutes. Brentford once again struggled to find their rhythm but then out of nowhere with 10 minutes to go, The Bees found an equaliser. At this stage, Brentford were in a semi-final berth.

However, two further goals from Port Vale left The Bees with a mountain to climb. A late consolation goal from Arian Sharifi didn’t leave the Londoners enough time to get the equaliser which would have been good enough to reach the knock out stage.

Head Coach Luis Melville, speaking afterwards, said: "Today was a hugely disappointing day for the squad. After the last four performances in the league which have seen us play our best Futsal, I think we came here today with hopes of at least making the semi-final. We were in good positions in all our matches but only managed one win. Our next focus is on The FA Futsal Cup on 13 May and the EFLT Championship play-off against Cardiff City.

Advertisement block