Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Man City U23 4 Brentford B 3

Bees lose in narrow game at Etihad Campus

1 May 2018

Brentford B lost 4-3 to Manchester City at the Etihad Campus on Tuesday afternoon. Kevin O'Connor's side went two goals down in a one-sided first half before making a comeback in the second. Despite scoring three goals and hitting the crossbar, The Bees couldn't find the final goal to get back on level terms.

Marcus Forss netted twice and Bradley Clayton got one from the penalty spot in The Bees 

It took nine minutes for the home side to take the lead, Reece Devine getting the opening goal for City. A quick burst of pace down the right wing from Rabbi Matondo allowed him space to cross for the far post, where Devine was able to volley the ball in off the crossbar.

There was a small stoppage after 19 minutes as Colin Rosler and Marcus Forss collided in the middle of the field, but both returned shortly afterwards. Rosler was later brought off at half-time.

With 33 minutes gone, Theo Archibald had Brentford's first chance of the day. Herson Rodrigues Alves had shut down the goalkeeper, who played a weak ball out of his box that Archibald intercepted. The Scottish winger took a shot but it was weaker than he'd have liked and keeper Pawel Sokol held on.

Archibald had the next shot on goal too, getting the ball from Lukas Talbro on the right wing and cutting inside before shooting narrowly wide of the target.

Ellery Balcombe was on hand to pull off a strong save after 35 minutes, getting out quickly to spread himself in front of Matondo. The winger's shot was powerful but it cannoned off Balcombe away from danger.

After 42 minutes, City won a penalty when Jaakko Oksanen brought down Devine as he made his way into the box from the left wing. Left-back Tyreke Wilson put the penalty into the roof of the net and the home side had a two-goal advantage going into the break.

In added time at the end of the half, Forss got close to nodding a goal back. Nikolaj Kirk found him with a chipped ball in from the left, only for Yeboah Amankwah to get it clear at the last moment.

Ali Coote got the first chance after the break, shooting low and wide from just inside the box. Then Forss had got one back with 52 minutes gone.

A weak pass out from a goal-kick by Sokol was intercepted by Forss, who then rounded the onrushing keeper and tucked the ball into the empty net.

Three minutes later, The Bees were level. Kirk made a darting run from left to right across the top of the penalty area before slotting the ball through for Clayton to chase. The captain was brought down as he approached the pass and the referee pointed to the spot. Clayton himself got up to convert the kick and make it 2-2.

Just before the hour mark, City struck twice in quick succession to restore their two-goal advantage in the blink of an eye.

A ball drilled across the box by Matondo was turned in at the near post by Brentford's trialist centre-back with Devine lurking in the middle. Balcombe was wrong-footed by the surprising touch from his own teammate and couldn't get near it.

Moments later, it was 4-2. Devine made it all himself, cutting in from the left and then drilling a shot low into the bottom left corner of the goal.

After 63 minutes, Talbro was brought off for Latvia youth international David Titov. The next major talking point was Brentford's third goal. Kirk managed to get the ball across the box after a corner and there waiting at the far post was Forss to control it and then fire into the net.

Former Man City man Joe Hardy returned to action with quarter of an hour to go and had a few chances to level things before the end of the game.

With 79 minutes on the clock, Coote hit a high curling shot that dipped narrowly over the crossbar. Then Forss found Hardy at the far post, only for the latter's strike to be cleared off the line by Amankwah.

Hardy went close again a few minutes later, dropping his shoulder on his marker before firing one at goal. Keeper Sokol was equal to it, parrying the ball away for a corner.

In the 86th minute, substitute Raphael Assibey-Mensah went close to creating an equaliser. His powerful shot from the edge of the box was spilt by Sokol, who then did really well to block the rebound from Forss at close range.

Archibald played a low cross for Hardy to try and convert with minutes to go, the ball just too much for the striker to get a proper contact on and it fizzed wide.

In the final minute of time, Archibald curled a shot from the right wing that looked destined for the top corner until it struck the bar. Hardy had laid the ball back to him only for the Scot to crash one off the woodwork.


Brentford B: Balcombe; Talbro (sub Titov 63 mins), Trialist, Sorensen, Kirk; Oksanen, Coote (sub Assibey-Mensah 79 mins), Clayton; Archibald, Alves (sub Hardy 74 mins), Forss

Subs (not used): Thompson, Edobor

Man City U19: Sokol; McDonald, Rosler (sub Aghatise 45 mins), Amankwah, Wilson; Maja (sub Hodge 87 mins), Pozo, Fiorini; Matondo, Devine, Ogunby

Advertisement block