Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Brentford B 3 Chelsea U23 0

Bees make it three in three after win at Jersey Road

27 March 2018

Brentford B followed up wins against Rangers and Manchester United with a 3-0 win over Chelsea at Jersey Road on Tuesday. Chiedozie Ogbene, Alan Judge and Reece Cole scored the goals on a relatively sunny afternoon in West London.

It took seven minutes for the first chance to go one way or the other, eventually falling to The Blues. Charlie Colkett intercepted a pass from Zain Westbrooke, then played it through for Daishawn Redan. The striker took it a full 25 yards towards the Brentford goal but then couldn't keep his shot down and it sailed over the bar.

Chelsea then needed to make an early change to their team after 10 minutes, Tariq Lamptey picking up an arm injury that meant he was replaced by Juan Castillo in the back four.

The away side then went close again. This time it was a cross from Cole Dasilva on the right wing, which Jarvis Edobor headed up into the air. Redan brought it down near the penalty spot for his teammate Luke McCormick to strike it wide of the left post.

After 21 minutes, Brentford went close through Emiliano Marcondes. Judge collected the ball on the edge of the box then crossed it for the Danish forward to nod narrowly wide of the right post.

Moments later, The Bees had the lead. It started from a Chelsea goal-kick won in the air by fullback Nikolaj Kirk. Bradley Clayton laid the ball back for Judge to knock over the top for Marcondes. The forward took a touch into the box before squaring for Ogbene to slot it home under the keeper.

It could have been worse for Chelsea with 27 minutes gone. The move started from Kirk on the right wing, as he moved the ball to Clayton in the middle. He then shifted it to Cole, who immediately forwarded it to Ogbene on the left side of the pitch. Cutting in from the left on the edge of the box, Ogbene sent a shot inches over the apex of the right post.

A few minutes later, Dasilva got himself into the referee's book after bringing down Ogbene on the left wing. The forward was causing trouble from his position and Chelsea were clearly frustrated that they couldn't stop his advances.

After 34 minutes, Judge scored his fourth for the B Team since his first appearance with them in December. Left-back Tom Field intercepted a pass down the wing and played the ball in for Ogbene down the left edge of the penalty area. The former Limerick player drilled his cross into the box, where Chelsea's Josh Grant cleared it off the line at the far post. It wasn't a powerful clearance though, and Judge was there to slot it into the bottom left corner of the net.

Unfortunately, Blues goalkeeper Nicolas Tié fell awkwardly when trying to stop the ball and injured his shoulder. After an eight-minute stoppage, he received appluase from the gathered fans as he was stretchered off the field and replaced by Karlo Ziger.

The Blues had a great chance to get a goal back before the break, three minutes into added time. Kylian Hazard, younger brother of Eden, broke clear one-on-one with Luke Daniels. The goalkeeper stood firm and managed to make a save with his feet. Then Westbrooke got in the way of the rebound from Redan and The Bees cleared it away.

Just on the brink of half-time, Ali Coote sent a low cross into the box but Ziger was out quickly to grab the ball away from the feet of Marcondes.

Almost immediately after the restart, Brentford went in search of a third. Within 30 seconds, they had forced a chance. Kirk crossed from the right but Marcondes could only guide his header wide of the left post.

Then Judge had a go, ghosting past Richard Nartey into the box before firing a shot at Ziger. The keeper stood up to it, parrying the ball away with his chest.

With 51 minutes gone, Cole struck his fourth goal in as many games. Ogbene flicked the ball inside to Field on the left side of the box, and he quickly drilled the ball into the box. It missed everyone at the near post, but there at the back was Cole. He won the race against Grant to the ball and side-footed it into the net.

Chelsea then piled on the pressure and forced several chances towards the goal of Daniels, who hadn't had much to do before this.

The first came through Redan, 58 minutes in. He picked the ball up near the halfway line, got a lucky bounce off of Coote and managed to motor away towards goal unchallenged. Running 30 yards into the box, he hit the ball low and hard but it fizzed beyond the left post.

A minute later, Chelsea had the ball in the Brentford box again. Colkett cut The Bees' defence apart with a ball through the centre of the field, Redan helping it into the path of Hazard. The forward took a touch into the box before hitting it at goal. Daniels got his hands up to parry it away to his left and Westbrooke once again cleared it.

After an hour, Redan was on the front foot again. Exchanging a one-two on the edge of the box with Hazard, he made his way into the box and shot at goal. Daniels was on hand again to make the save, this time standing tall as the ball bounced off his chest and went out for a corner.

From that set-piece Chelsea went even closer. Nartey connected with a header at the far post, which clipped the left post and bounced back into the box. Field was there, as Daniels looked on from the floor, to hook the ball away from danger.

After 62 minutes, Chelsea made a triple substitution and swapped out their entire front line. Redan and Hazard made way, alongside the American Kyle Scott. On to the field appeared Charlie Brown, Harvey St Clair and Martell Taylor-Crossdale.

Five minutes later, St Clair got his first chance. Midfielder Jacob Maddox darted his way down the right wing before slotting through a pass for St Clair. The forward took it on and hit a shot at goal, Coote getting himself in the way and diverting the shot wide.

The bombardment continued on Brentford's back line as Colkett fired a ball over the top for Brown to run on to. Daniels came flying out of his box and managed to get there just before the Chelsea striker, flicking it away for Field to chase.

Kirk deserved credit after 71 minutes when he made a spectacular last-ditch tackle to deny St Clair a free shot at goal. McCormick had played him in behind the back four and the substitute looked destined to score until Kirk intervened.

He then turned attacker at the other end, when Clayton squared the ball for him on the right. Kirk slipped past his marker and cut inside on to his left foot, before shooting but saw it blocked by Maddox.

After 76 minutes, Brentford B withdrew Marcondes, Clayton and Ogbene in a similar move to their opponents. Herson Rodrigues Alves, Theo Archibald and a trialist came on for the front trio.

On 81 minutes, Chelsea had another chance to get back in the game. A ball from the right was put in by Nartey, McCormick tried a bicycle kick and that sent the ball through for Brown. He flicked the ball over the advancing Daniels but also over the crossbar.

With six minutes left, Coote needed to be replaced by Raphael Assibey-Mensah. The Scottish midfielder was brought off after colliding with McCormick.

The final whistle came after one last chance for Judge in the 90th minute. Shifting the ball between Archibald and Cole on the edge of the box, the team moved it to Judge who decided to shoot from distance. It took a deflection off Grant, which absorbed the pace on the ball and carried it through for Ziger to collect with ease.

Brentford B: Daniels; Kirk, Edobor, Westbrooke, Field; Coote (sub Assibey-Mensah 84), Cole, Judge; Clayton (sub Alves 76), Marcondes (sub Archibald 76), Ogbene (sub Trialist FW 76)

Chelsea U23: Tié (sub Ziger 43); Lamptey (sub Castillo 10), Nartey, Grant, Dasilva; Colkett (sub McCormick 69), McCormick (sub Sammut 46), Maddox, Scott (sub Brown 62); Redan (sub Taylor-Crossdale 62), Hazard (sub St Clair 62)

Advertisement block