Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Boreham Wood 1 Brentford 2

Bees pick up comeback victory in first game of pre-season

6 July 2018

The match saw Brentford debut their new red and white home kit at the home of last year's defeated National League Play-Off finalists. 

The first real chance started at the back within minutes of kick-off. Mads Bech Sorensen collected the ball from Jack Bonham, then forwarded it to Yoann Barbet. The Frenchman slotted a perfectly timed through ball to Neal Maupay, who cut inside and shot low. The trialist goalkeeper got down to turn it away.

Then Maupay was in again, this time latching on to a ball into the box from Ollie Watkins. He hit a fierce volley that was blocked by Manny Parry. 

With a quarter of an hour gone, Brentford had a penalty appeal turned down. Josh Clarke exchanged a one-two with Alan Judge but the return ball was turned away by Parry. Clarke had his arms up in protest by referee Mr Rock was not moved.

With 19 minutes on the clock, Bonham took a clattering when clearing the ball in the air with Sorensen and a Wood player. Getting up to punch, he landed awkwardly and needed treatment. The game got back underway shortly after.

Soon after, David Stephens nodded a corner kick towards the back post but it narrowly evaded Bradley Ash who was closing in fast.

Ash was on the prowl again with 25 minutes gone. Released one-on-one with Bonham he tried to shoot low beneath the keeper but it was turned away by the 24-year-old stopper.

A minute later, the home side had the lead. Morgan Ferrier was tracked into the box by Reece Cole and proved too much for the youngster who brought him down just inside the area. Ferrier stepped up to take it himself, chipping the ball down the middle as Bonham threw himself to his left. 

Moments later, Brentford could have had an instant reply. Watkins spotted a pass through towards Maupay across the face of goal, but it had just too much on it and ran beyond the French forward.

Maupay was next to test the goalkeeper, latching on to a pass from Judge he fired from the edge of the box. Once again the gloveman got across to parry it away.

The chances didn't come easy against a Wood defence that was compact and physical. Cole's shot from range was typical of the type of opening that we saw more of as the half wore on.

Then, a moment of magic from Ryan Woods. A cross-field pass from inside his own half found Watkins on the break down the left wing. He chased the ball down, cut inside and fired the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal. The Bees were level after 43 minutes.

At the break, Dean Smith made ten changes with everyone switching except for Bonham. 

The first chance of the half fell to Emiliano Marcondes after Marcus Forss had slipped the ball through to him inside the penalty area. A fierce strike had to be palmed away by the sub keeper. The rebound fell to Canós, whose powerful drive was blocked bravely by Stephens.

With just over an hour gone, Lewis Macleod netted the away side's second goal. A great move that started in midfield with Marcondes found Macleod. He slid a ball down the right wing into the path of Chiedozie Ogbene, who cut inside and rolled the ball across the edge of the box. Forss stepped over it, creating the space for Macleod to run into and tuck his shot low into the bottom right corner.

A few minutes later, Ogbene was released in similar fashion by Nico Yennaris down the right side. His cut back was once again met by a Brentford player but on this ocassion Marcondes blazed his shot over the bar into the nearby car park.

Ogbene then had a go himself with 20 minutes to go, shooting low and wide of the right post after getting inside from the wing and hitting one with his left foot.

The first Wood chance of merit wasn't a clear cut opportunity, with one of their many trialists rolling the ball through towards Bonham with no real pace on the shot.

After 81 minutes, Forss started a break on the left wing, getting away from his marker before squaring for Canós. The Spaniard flicked it on to Ogbene, who shot but it was saved. He chipped the rebound over the top back into the box and Canós saw his header dip narrowly over the crossbar.

Canós then rescued a long ball across the pitch from Marcondes and set the ball back to Macleod on the edge of the penalty area. The midfielder's shot was low and fast but it was deflected away from danger by a Boreham Wood player.

Macleod then had another chance as Marcondes received a quick throw-in and set it across for the Scot. Hit hard with his left foot, it curled wide of the right post.

In the final minute, the home side went in search of a leveller but Ezri Konsa got himself in the way on the edge of the box. 

The final whistle sounded moments after Marcondes had blasted another effort over the crossbar after being played in behind the Wood back line.

Brentford: Bonham; Clarke (sub Yennaris 45), Egan (sub Konsa 45), Sorensen (sub Mepham 45), Barbet (sub Field 45); Woods (sub Mokotjo 45), Sawyers (sub Macleod 45), Cole (sub Marcondes 45); Judge (sub Ogbene 45), Watkins (sub Canós 45), Maupay (sub Forss 45)

Subs (not used): Bentley, Shaibu

Goals: Watkins (43), Macleod (61)

Boreham Wood: Trialist (sub Trialist 45); Shakes, Ilesanmi (sub Trialist 64), Ricketts (sub Jeffers 64), Parry (sub Woodards 45), Stephens, Smith (sub Fyfield 45), Champion (sub Trialist 45), Ferrier (sub Thomas 68), Murtagh (sub Trialist 64), Ash (sub Trialist 45)

Goals: Ferrier (26 pen)

Advertisement block