Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bees 3 Grecians 3

Brentford B score late equaliser to draw first game of 2018

9 January 2018

Brentford B drew 3-3 with an Exeter City XI on Tuesday afternoon at Jersey Road.

David Titov gave Brentford the lead in the first half before the away side scored two to take the lead back. Zain Westbrooke got a goal to level the scores after the break, before The Grecians once again scored to go ahead. Herson Rodrigues Alves scored in the last 10 minutes to secure a hard-fought draw.

It took 22 minutes for the game to get going, Titov scoring the opening goal and his first of the season. Bradley Clayton won the ball off of Dan Seabourne at the back, then squared for Marcus Forss to shoot. The shot was saved by goalkeeper Paul Jones but the rebound was put away by the fullback at the far post.

Two minutes later it could have been two or three. First, Titov saw a shot saved by Jones and the rebound by Alan Judge was blocked on the line. Then Tom Field went close with a header that Jones needed to tip over the crossbar.

The Grecians levelled through Matt Jay after half an hour. A long ball from the right was nodded back across goal by Ryan Loft, only for Jay to knock it home in the middle.

Only a few minutes later, Exeter had scored again. This time a quick break ending in a swift finish at the far post to see the visitors take a 2-1 lead into the half-time break.

Reece Cole and Herson Rodrigues Alves were out for the second half, in place of Lewis Macleod and Tom Field. An hour in, Westbrooke fired home a second for Kevin O'Connor's side. Cole picked him out with a long ball down the left, the B Team captain cutting inside before curling the ball into the far corner to make it 2-2.

Straight down the other end, 66 minutes gone, and Exeter had a third. A free-kick from the left wing was whipped in by Lloyd James, allowing the faintest of touches from Robbie Simpson to take it past Ellery Balcombe in the Brentford goal. 

Joe Hardy was introduced for Alan Judge after 71 minutes, almost making an instant impact but his low shot fizzed narrowly wide of the post.

With only eight minutes to go, Brentford were back on level terms. A great individual goal, he rounded the goalkeeper and then turned and shot from a narrow angle. It looked harder to score than to miss but he tucked it away and equalised in style.

The B Team could have won it in the dying seconds of the match, when Hardy saw the ball roll out to him on the edge of the penalty area. He struck it low, with goalkeeper Jones on the floor, but Will Dean charged across to make a brave block on the line and keep the scores level.

Brentford B: Balcombe; Titov, Sorensen, Edobor, Field (sub Alves 59 mins); Westbrooke, Macleod (sub Cole 40 mins), Judge (sub Trialist 71 mins); Clayton, Archibald, Forss (sub Hardy 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Thompson (GK), Novak

Advertisement block