Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Shamrock Rovers 1 Brentford B 2

B Team complete second-half comeback in Tallaght

10 February 2018

Brentford B completed a 2-1 comeback win at Shamrock Rovers on Saturday afternoon. Jarvis Edobor and Theo Archibald scored goals in the second half after Graham Burke had given the hosts a first-half lead.

The game started brightly for the home side, with several chances falling their way in the opening minutes. 

Both Burke and Ronan Finn went close with shots from the edge of the box. Burke's curled wide of the far post as he shot from the right wing. Then Finn saw a header blocked by David Titov from an in-swinging corner.

Archibald had a great chance to score an opener after quarter of an hour. Latching on to the end of a poor pass out from the back, he cut it on to his left foot but drilled it straight at the retreating goalkeeper. 

Gary Shaw then went close for the hosts, shooting with a serious amount of power from the edge of the box. It was a strong left arm by Ellery Balcombe that denied the Irishman. 

Shamrock took the lead after 40 minutes through Burke. After playing it around at the back, a loose pass allowed the Rovers man to intercept the ball and take all the time he needed to score into the bottom corner.

At the break, Rovers made 10 changes. While Kevin O'Connor introduced Ali Coote to the action in place of Herson Rodrigues Alves. Jaakko Oksanen was also introduced after an hour in place of the hard-working Reece Cole.

Brentford recovered some of their momentum and controlled the early stages of the second period. Several chances came and went for different Bees players. 

Zain Westbrooke could have done better after 74 minutes, a chipped cross from Archibald on the right found the captain in space in the middle but his header wasn't as clean as he'd have liked. It dropped short of the target.

A few minutes later the ball found Bradley Clayton on the left side of the box, he struck it cleanly and powerfully at the goal. Goalkeeper Tomer Chencinski made a brave save to get his body in the way and block it.

Then the B Team were level. Lukas Talbro showed a superb level of skill to work the ball off a one-two with Joe Hardy and then play it wide to Archibald on the right. The Scottish winger cut inside and curled the ball into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box.

With three minutes to go, Edobor popped up with the winner. His first goal of the season was a powerful header into the net after connecting perfectly with a corner from Oksanen.

Brentford B: Balcombe; Talbro, Edobor, Sorensen, Titov (sub Kirk 77 mins); Westbrooke, Clayton, Cole (sub Oksanen 67 mins); Archibald, Alves (sub Coote 46 mins), Forss (sub Hardy 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Houghton, Appleton

Advertisement block