Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Brentford B vs Swansea Abandoned in snow

Match abandoned after first half, with Bees 4-0 up

27 February 2018

Brentford B versus Swansea City U23 was called off in the 46th minute at Bedfont Sports Ground on Tuesday afternoon.

The goals came from Zain Westbrooke, Marcus Forss, Ali Coote and Jarvis Edobor in a lively first half. Heavy snow meant the match finished early as the referee decided conditions were unplayable at around 3pm.

Brentford had started brightly, looking to get on the front foot from the off. The first shot took nine minutes to materialise. A driven corner by Jaakko Oksanen found Westbrooke at the near post, the captain flicked it at goal but goalkeeper Nathan Shepherd held it.

The Swans had a great chance just moments later. Finley Hazel crossed from the right side and it was all set for Oliver Cooper to knock in at the back post, the striker took his eyes off the ball and missed his kick so the play continued.

Reece Cole was next to try his luck. With 12 minutes gone, he found space on the edge of the box but his shot dipped narrowly wide of the left post.

After 17 minutes, the home side took the lead. Forss turned on the pace as he burst down the right side of the pitch, and then pulled the ball back across the box. Westbrooke, charging forward from the back, was there to side-foot the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

A few minutes later The Bees got a chance to double their lead from the penalty spot. Raphael Assibey-Mensah played the ball inside from the left for Forss, he touched the ball around his marker but was then brought down. The referee pointed to the spot straight away.

With 22 minutes on the clock, Forss took the penalty himself. He fired it low and it found the net to hand his side a two-goal advantage.

Brentford were on top and making their momentum count. With nearly half an hour gone, it was three-nil.

Oksanen started the move in midfield, winning the ball and then playing it up to Bradley Clayton. The ball was moved into the path of Coote, who took a touch to get it under control and then lifted it over the advancing keeper.

The goals were flying in and the fourth quickly followed the third. A cross into the box from Oksanen found Edobor with time to take a touch before volleying the ball past Shepherd. That’s two in as many games for the centre-back.

A late first-half chance came the way of a Swansea side that weren’t getting much space in the final third. Cooper again was the taker; this time from distance and his shot sailed over the crossbar.

At the break, The Bees were in total control of the game. A four-goal lead was the reward for an attacking display from Kevin O’Connor’s side. Unfortunately, the scene turned rapidly over the 15 minutes of half-time. When the team re-emerged the snow had become heavy and continuous. 

Despite kicking off the second period, the referee whistled soon after for an abandonment. 

Brentford B: Thompson; Kirk, Westbrooke, Edobor, Archibald; Oksanen, Cole, Coote; Clayton, Forss, Assibey-Mensah

Subs (not used): Wicks (GK), Alves

Advertisement block