Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Seven games in loan round-up this weekend

Archibald inspires comeback, Woods sees win with Stoke, Shaibu and Wood win too

10 December 2018

THEO ARCHIBALD was brought onto the field for Forest Green Rovers after 79 minutes on Saturday, with the team a goal down. By full-time, he had grabbed an assist and they had won the game. In the second minute of stoppage time, Theo crossed the ball for Reuben Reid to flick home off the post in the middle of the box. Then, four minutes into time added on, George Williams crashed another one in through a crowd of bodies in the penalty area to steal all three points.

The result lifts Rovers to eighth in League Two, one spot away from the Play-Off places behind Tranmere Rovers. Next in the league Forest Green host fifth-placed Mansfield Town at the New Lawn, that's this Saturday.

RYAN WOODS played a key role in central midfield when Stoke City beat Ipswich Town 2-0 in the Sky Bet Championship. The No.38 started the move that lead to the first goal with a defence-splitting pass to Sam Clucas, who then found Tom Ince and the forward scored the opener. The 24-year-old then shrugged off two Town players, before taking a quick free-kick to set up the chance for Joe Allen to score the second.

Three points put Stoke in 10th spot, level on 30 points with both Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City. On Saturday, Woods travels with Villa Park for a game against his former Brentford boss Dean Smith. Villa are two points ahead of The Potters in eighth position.

JUSTIN SHAIBU was brought on as a late substitute as Boreham Wood defeated Leyton Orient in the Vanarama National League. Femi Ilesanmi scored a fourth-minute goal that turned out to be the winner in a match that didn't see too much action at either end.

A win for The Wood sees them up to 11th, above Barrow and Hartlepool United on the same 31 points tally. This weekend they host National League South side Torquay United in the FA Trophy First Round at Meadow Park.

REECE COLE was a 63rd-minute sub for Maidenhead United on Saturday, the side losing 1-0 to Hartlepool United. After 50 minutes, Cole's side had lost James Comley to a red card and couldn't recover from there. Josh Hawkes had given the away side the lead after quarter of an hour and it turned out to be the only difference between the two teams.

Defeat kept Maidenhead in 22nd place, above Maidstone United and Braintree Town. They find themselves on the same points (21) as Dover Athletic a position above them, but take a break from league action next weekend to play Oxford City in the FA Trophy.

CHIEDOZIE OGBENE of Exeter City was played behind striker Jayden Stockley in a 2-0 defeat to Bury in League Two. Jay O'Shea and Byron Moore both scored for the home side before Chiedozie was subbed off in the 82nd minute. 

It means Exeter fell to ninth place, just behind Forest Green. Next they travel to 17th Crewe Alexandra with Oldham Athletic and Yeovil Town on the horizon.

In League One, JACK BONHAM was in goal as Bristol Rovers were beaten 4-0 by Doncaster Rovers. John Marquis opened the scoring after 10 minutes then Mallik Wilks netted one either side of half-time. It was finished off by Tom Anderson before the hour-mark, making Donny's 374-mile round trip well and truly worth it.

Bristol are fourth from bottom on 17 points, while Doncaster's win moved them to sixth. The Pirates face a daunting trip to the Stadium of Light next, facing second-place Sunderland away from home is going to be no easy task. That's a 3pm kick-off on Saturday 15 December.

Elsewhere, TOM FIELD missed out on game time during Cheltenham Town's 2-1 win over Grimsby that saw them steady the ship in 21st in League Two. They also have a game in hand over the teams below them; Cambridge United, Notts County and Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town. Next weekend they are away at Port Vale before a reasonably local derby with Swindon Town seven days later.

Advertisement block