Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Shaibu nets hat-trick as Forest Green match abandoned

Loan round-up includes FA Trophy progress, rain delays and a Sunderland defeat

17 December 2018

JUSTIN SHAIBU netted a hat-trick in Boreham Wood's 3-1 win over Torquay United in the FA Trophy First Round.

Coming off the bench after United had seen Ruairi Keating sent off in the first half, Shaibu took eight minutes to score his first and level the tie. After taking the game to Extra Time, Shaibu took aim after 98 minutes and drilled his second one in from distance. Then, with Torquay reduced to nine men after Kyle Cameron's second yellow, Shaibu rounded off his hat-trick with five minutes to go.

On Tuesday night, they travel to Halifax Town for a Vanarama National League match. Then it's off to Essex to play Braintree Town, The Iron currently bottom of the division following a winless run of six games.

JACK BONHAM played in Bristol Rovers' 2-1 defeat to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Saturday afternoon. Alex Rodman opened the scoring for the visitors after only 11 minutes, former Bee Tony Craig going close with a header a few minutes prior.

The Black Cats levelled in stoppage time at the end of the first half, Wales international Adam Matthews netting from close range. Just after the start of the second half, Josh Maja scored the decisive goal after connecting with Aiden McGeady's cross.

The defeat sees Bristol slip to 23rd in the table, two points ahead of bottom club AFC Wimbledon. Fleetwood Town travel to Memorial Stadium next weekend, in tenth place and looking to condemn Rovers to their third straight defeat.

RYAN WOODS managed to grab a point when he was reunited with former Brentford boss Dean Smith at Villa Park on Saturday. The midfielder played 90 minutes in Stoke City's 2-2 draw in the West Midlands. Joe Allen and Benik Afobe scored for The Potters, with Tammy Abraham and Jonathan Kodjia hitting back for Smith's side.

Villa remain just outside the Play-Offs in eighth, while Stoke chase them in 11th and just two points behind. Next weekend, Stoke host Millwall at the Bet365 Stadium and then travel to Birmingham City for a midweek clash at St Andrews.

CHIEDOZIE OGBENE came on in the 77th minute for Exeter City as The Grecians managed a 1-0 win over Crewe Alexandra. Lee Holmes was brought off as the former Limerick forward got a run out at the end of a game that saw them climb into the Play-Off picture in League Two.

Next weekend they face a trip to Oldham Athletic before a midweek test against Yeovil Town.

THEO ARCHIBALD was an unused substitute as Forest Green Rovers had their match with Mansfield Town abandoned at The New Lawn. Heavy rain before and during the game meant referee James Linington, who officiated Brentford vs QPR last month, had to call an end to proceedings at half-time.

REECE COLE's Maidenhead United also had their game against Oxford City abandoned in the 75th minute. City were leading 1-0 with Cole missing out through injury for United.

TOM FIELD missed out for Cheltenham as they conceded a stoppage time equaliser to draw 2-2 with Port Vale.

JARVIS EDOBOR also missed out on action in Maidstone United's 1-1 draw with Woking. The two teams meet again in the FA Trophy on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block