Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Brentford B 2 AFC Bournemouth U23 1

Forss and Cole on target as Brentford B earn first win of the season

21 August 2018

Marcus Forss scored one and set up another as Brentford B earned their first win of the 2018/19 campaign.

The Bees played some slick football during their first Griffin Park showcase, taking the game to their higher-division opponents.

Kevin O’Connor opted for a 4-3-3 formation with Moses Odubajo making his Griffin Park return at right-back. Fellow First Teamers Tom Field, Chiedozie Ogbene, Forss and Reece Cole were named amongst the XI.

Marc Pugh, Tyrone Mings, Diego Rico and Jefferson Lerma – who recently joined Bournemouth for a club-record £25m fee from Spanish side Levante – all started for The Cherries.

It was the hosts who worked the first opening of the game on four minutes. Ogbene cut in from the left and played a piercing ball through to David Titov, with his cutback scuffed across the face of goal by the advancing Cole.

Cole had a trio of chances during Brentford’s next phase of attacking play, the pick of the bunch a 30-yard drive which forced Mark Travers into a smart save to his right. Moments later, Lerma's loose touch was pounced upon by Marcus Forss. He slid in Cole, but the midfielder drilled his shot wide from 15 yards.

Cole continued to pull the strings in his deep-lying playmaker role and his quick thinking was instrumental to Brentford’s next chance on goal. Following a foul on captain, Ali Coote, Cole’s quick free-kick released Titov down the right. The winger got his head up and picked out Forss, but the First-Team forward skewed his effort wide of the upright.

Bournemouth should have taken the lead on the half-hour mark. Pugh burst into the area and cut on to his right foot, selling Jarvis Edobor with the dummy, but couldn’t beat the sprawling Patrik Gunnarsson from close range.

That chance spurred the visitors into life with Diego Rico narrowly clearing the crossbar moments later. Brentford went straight up the other end and threatened through Forss, the referee deciding to play advantage after Coote had been hauled down in The Cherries’ area. Both sides had taken the shackles off by this point following a measured opening to the encounter.

Forss nearly caught out Travers with a ferocious shot shortly before the interval but the Bournemouth ‘keeper dealt with the danger.

The Bees took the lead two minutes after the restart. Cole collected the ball in midfield, turned on a sixpence and lofted the ball over the last line of defence. Forss read the pass and jinked his way past a couple of challenges before slotting into the bottom corner. Travers with no chance.

Jack Simpson nodded narrowly wide of the target up the other end as Bournemouth went in search of an equaliser.

Cole had been a thorn in Bournemouth’s side and his last contribution was to double Brentford’s lead. It was roles reversed on this occasion as Forss forced a mistake from Travers and then selflessly squared for Cole to drill home from close range. Cole was then withdrawn with Nikolaj Kirk taking on his responsibilities in the middle of the park.

Jaidon Anthony pulled one back for Bournemouth 20 minutes from time, steering into the bottom corner from a Marc Pugh cutback.

Chances came and went during the closing stages – Bees substitutes Kolbeinn Finnsson and a trialist going closest with low efforts across the face of goal – but the scoreline remained 2-1.


Brentford B: Gunnarsson; Odubajo (Dasilva 46), Carroll, Edobor, Field (Talbro 79); Oksanen, Coote, Cole (Kirk 62); Titov (Majka 73), Forss (Trialist 62), Ogbene (Finnsson 70)

Subs: Trialist, Mitchell


AFC Bournemouth U23: Travers, Seaman, Rico, Worthington, Simpson, Mings, Anthony, Lerma, O’Connell, Dobre (Kilkeny 77), Pugh

Subs: Ward, Cordner, Sherring, Boote


Attendance: 468

Advertisement block