Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Bees progress in Futsal FA Cup

Landmark win for Futsal side

17 April 2018

Brentford FC’s Futsal team faced Southampton based Spanglish Futsal Club in the First Round of The FA Futsal Cup at Brunel University last month and came through a 17-goal thriller. A regional qualifier back in November saw The Bees qualify from a very tough group, while their opponents also made the first round via a qualifying competition. In what turned out to be a pulsating and nerve jangling cup tie, the Bees prevailed 9-8.

Things did not start well, however, and at 5-0 down, it did not look to good for Brentford. The Bees had created plenty of chances, but came up against a goalkeeper who stopped everything and a team that finished their own chances. The message at half time was to stay positive, and stick to the game plan, but The Bees conceded a sixth goal, two minutes into the second half.

However, Brentford were dominating possession and creating plenty of chances. A goal with 13 minutes to go sparked an incredible spell for Brentford. Said Gutale made it 6-2 before two more goals, including an emphatic finish by Azhan Iqbal, brought The Bees to within two goals of Spanglish.

With the south coast team visibly tiring, Mason Roseboom and Said Gutale, scored a goal each and levelled the game up at 6-6 with four minutes to go. A lack of concentration from Brentford from the restart enabled Spanglish to regain the lead, but they also had committed five fouls in the half, with each resulting direct free-kick afterwards, resulting in a ten-metre penalty.

Mark Simmons, a former England Futsal international, then had an incredible three minutes scoring a hat-trick including two, ten metre penalties and a brilliant finish from close range to give the team from TW8, a 9-7 lead with 60 seconds left on the clock. Spanglish elected to play fly-keeper, and scored with a long-range effort to make it 9-8 with 36 seconds to play. Brentford then defended incredibly well, blocking two powerful efforts, and seeing the clock out to record a remarkable comeback win and make the last 16 of The FA Futsal Cup.

Head Coach Luis Melville said: "At half time, we didn’t panic because we knew we were creating lots of chances, and that things would eventually fall for us. To score nine goals in 12 minutes was incredible, and just as incredible was our defending in the last 30 seconds to see out the clock. We know we will face Tranmere Rovers or Escolla Development, both excellent teams but for now, we will enjoy today."


Advertisement block