Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Porto XI 2 Brentford B 3

Bees win in Valdevez after narrow game with Portuguese opponents

21 April 2018

Brentford B won 3-2 against FC Porto U19s in Valdevez on Saturday afternoon. Marcus Forss, Reece Cole and Theo Archibald scored the goals in the first half for The Bees.

It took Brentford just 90 seconds to take the lead. Bradley Clayton won a free-kick on the right wing, which Jaakko Oksanen delivered into the box. Then, Jarvis Edobor got across to nod the ball down and Marcus Forss finished it at the far post.

Porto's Maga on the left wing went close to getting an immediate response with a shot that was fired just over Jared Thompson's crossbar.

After 10 minutes, Forss could have had a second when he closed down the opposition goalkeeper's kick. The ball ricocheted back towards goal but missed the target by inches.

With 18 minutes on the clock, Porto levelled the game. Mateus cut inside from the right wing and played a ball fiercely into the six-yard box. It travelled through a crowd of players and was put in by Vasco in the middle.

The Bees went close to an instant second when Lukas Talbro played a one-two with Clayton and then crossed for Theo Archibald. The Scottish forward got his toe to the ball but goalkeeper Joao saved it low.

Cole netted his sixth goal in seven games when he struck in the 28th minute. Great work in the middle from Oksanen and Ali Coote allowed Cole the time to take the pass in his stride before hitting on into the top left corner. Joao dived but lost track of the flight and it sailed into the net.

Shortly after, Thompson had to be alert as Vasco diverted a free-kick goalwards. The keeper dived to his right and held on to the shot.

Three minutes from half-time, Brentford got a third. Oksanen flicked the ball out to the left for Clayton to run, he then drilled the ball back across the box where Archibald was waiting to strike. He drilled it low and it took a slight deflection on its way into the net.

After the break, it took until an hour had passed before Porto got back into the game. A rare mistake from Thompson allowed Fabio a chance to score. A weak pass found the attacker and he then curled the ball onto the left post with Thompson out of position in his box. 

Four minutes later, Porto had found a second goal. Jarvis Edobor was harshly penalised for a foul on the edge of his own penalty area. From the resulting set piece, the ball was struck under the wall and into the bottom left corner.

Archibald nearly found Brentford's fourth when he smashed a shot across the face of goal. It ran all the way through to Talbro, who cut it back to Clayton. The forward took a shot but it was blocked in front of goal by Silva the Porto captain.

With five minutes to go, Forss looked destined to add a fourth. Despite chasing down a weak backpass from Paulo, he couldn't beat the onrushing keeper.

Reece Cole still had time to attempt a free-kick from just outside the box. He whipped it over the top of the wall but substitute goalkeeper Cailas made a good save to his right with both palms.

Even then it wasn't over, sub Raphael Assibey-Mensah had a chance to score when Talbro put him through one-on-one. He shifted it on to his left foot and shot but the keeper managed to get himself down to the shot.

Team Stats

Brentford B: Thompson; Talbro, Edobor, Sorensen, Kirk; Oksanen (sub Alves 65 mins), Coote (sub Trialist 82 mins), Cole; Clayton, Archibald, Forss (sub Assibey-Mensah 87 mins)

Subs (not used): Balcombe, Novak, Titov

FC Porto U19: Joao (sub Cailas 45 mins); Ruben (sub Leo 55 mins), Silva, Paulo, Joco, Jota; Usa, Mateus, Fabio, Maga; Vasco

Advertisement block