Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Brentford B 1 Luton Town XI 4

Hatters defeat Bees at Jersey Road

19 September 2017

Kevin O'Connor's Brentford B lost 4-1 to a Luton Town XI at Jersey Road on Tuesday afternoon. Bradley Clayton scored a goal in the second half to try and revive Brentford's fight against strong opposition.

The opening quarter of an hour saw Luton, fielding a strong eleven and looking the much more experienced side, create two chances of note. The first came after five minutes, Elliot Lee thundering a strike into the side-netting from the left side. The next was tame in comparison but needed saving by Ellery Balcombe.

Zain Westbrooke had The Bees' first chance. Looking for a deep cross into the box, the ball swerved towards goal and keeper James Shea was forced to tip it away from his woodwork.

Luton scored after 17 minutes, Nikolaj Kirk was robbed of possession on the edge of the box before Luke Gambin smashed the ball home from close range one-on-one. 

After 30 minutes, Lee almost found Luton a second, cutting in from the right to shoot low. Balcombe got down to palm it away from danger.

Jordan Cook scored to make it two-nil with 31 minutes gone, a great solo effort from range that found the top corner.

Luton soon had their third before half time. Racing through the middle of the pitch on the counter-attack, the ball was played wide to Lee on the left. He cut inside onto his right then switched back to his left before drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

It took two minutes for Brentford to get a goal in the second half. Clayton received the ball down the middle, then switched it to his left foot before striking into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box.

At the other end, a minute later, The Hatters had a fourth. Another fine strike from distance came in from Gambin and it once again beat Balcombe to reach the corner of the net.

Clayton had a golden chance to score his second after 50 minutes. A quick one-two with Joe Hardy saw him played in behind the back four, only for a last ditch tackle from Akin Famewo to block his close range shot.

With nearly an hour on the clock, Brentford had another great chance to score a second. Substitute Marcus Forss pulled the ball back to the centre of the box, where Westbrooke struck a shot at goal. Shea reacted quickly to save the ball with his feet.

Balcombe made a good stop with 68 minutes gone, handling a powerful effort from James Justin and pushing it wide. The following corner produced another good save from the keeper again before Lukas Talbro got back to clear a shot off the line.

With only 15 minutes left, Brentford managed two quick chances. The first was a long range effort by Herson Alves that was deflected wide, the next a slightly better opening for Hardy, who slid the ball wide of the target from a narrow angle.

There was a late chance for Town in the final five minutes, Arthur Read chipped the ball over the onrushing Balcombe but dropping it wide of the target.

Brentford B: Ellery Balcombe; David Titov, Mads Bech Sørensen, Jarvis Edobor, Lukas Talbro; Zain Westbrooke (c), Nikolaj Kirk (sub Marcus Forss 46), Ali Coote (sub Raphael Assibey-Mensah 69 mins); Herson Rodrigues Alves, Joe Hardy, Bradley Clayton

Subs (not used): Jared Thompson (GK), Jan Novak

Luton Town: James Shea (sub Harry Isted 70 mins); James Justin, Frankie Musonda (c), Akin Famewo, Jack Senior; Olly Lee (sub Kavan Cotter 72 mins), Josh McQuoid, Jordan Cook; Luke Gambin (sub Jake Peck 75 mins), Aaron Jarvis (sub Arthur Read 79 mins), Elliot Lee (sub Josh Neufville 59 mins)

Subs (not used): Joe Mead, Jack James

Booked: McQuoid 45 mins

Advertisement block