Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Theo and Chris in Under-21 qualifying action

Catch up with the Bees involved in the final round of international fixtures

6 September 2017

Chris Mepham’s second Wales Under-21 appearance ended early after the defender was shown two yellow cards in three minutes during last night’s defeat to Portugal. By the time Chris received his marching orders, inside the final ten minutes, Ruben Neves’ penalty and Gonçalo Guedes strike had already wrapped up the points for the hosts. The defeat in Chaves leaves Wales fifth in Group 8 of qualifying for the 2019 European Championships in Italy, with three points from two games.    

There was better news for Theo Archibald who earned his first Under-21 cap as Scotland got their qualifying campaign for Italy 2019 off to the perfect start with a 2-0 win at home to Holland. The 19-year-old replaced goalscorer Oliver Burke late on in Paisley after the West Bromwich Albion man had thundered Scot Gemmill’s side into a second-half lead. Stevie Mallan then capitalised on a defensive mistake to make it 2-0 with 20 minutes to play as Scotland got their campaign up and running with three points.  

Kamohelo Mokotjo watched on from the bench as South Africa dropped to the bottom of Group D of CAF Qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 2-1 defeat at home to Cape Verde. After losing the first meeting in Praia by the same score-line on Friday, Bafana Bafana were stunned by a Garry Rodrigues second-half double at the Moses Mabhiba Stadium in Durban. Although Andile Jali pulled one back in the final minute, defeat leaves South Africa in big trouble with just two games, against Burkina Faso and Senegal, remaining and only the group winners heading to Russia.

At the One Call Stadium, Mansfield, Ellery Balcombe was an unused substitute as England Under-19s were beaten 3-1 by their German counterparts in a friendly match. The 17-year-old, who started Friday’s 7-1 win over Poland, was replaced by Huddersfield Town’s Ryan Schofield as Germany struck twice inside the opening three minutes. Arsenal’s Reiss Nelson made it 2-1 after just 11 minutes but Paul Simpson’s side conceded a third in second-half injury-time as they pushed for a dramatic leveller.

Advertisement block