Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Inter Milan 1 Brentford B 3

Shaibu, Canós and Archibald score in Bees victory over Nerazzurri Primavera

25 October 2017

Brentford B won 3-1 over Inter Milan on Wednesday afternoon. Sergi Canós, Justin Shaibu and Theo Archibald all scored the in the first half as The Bees completed an impressive victory on their final day in Italy

It took five minutes for Brentford to take the lead. Shaibu found himself one on one with a defender, twisted and turned on the edge of the box, then drilled the ball low into the bottom right corner.

Then Inter found their feet. Two chances followed from corner kicks on the left side. The first was met at the near post and sent just wide of the goal. The next was lofted into the far post, headed down and almost found an unmarked striker in blue and black. Luckily for The Bees, Macleod was able to clear.

At the other end, after ten minutes, Theo Archibald could have doubled the lead. A corner to the far post was headed back across by Jarvis Edobor, with Archibald knocking it over from close range.

Inter came close again moments later. This time it was a long ball knocked down for a striker to hit at goal, the shot rising slightly over the frame of the goal.

After 20 minutes, the hosts went even closer and should have been level. A low cross from the left into the box caused chaos and it was turned agonisingly wide at the far post.

Brentford’s second came from Canós. Having worked the ball down the right, Archibald knocked the ball to Shaibu in the middle and he played it square for the Spanish winger. Canós took aim and fired low into the left corner of the net.

The game quickly became bogged down in a battle between the midfield players. Inter, with their quick passing, while Macleod and Bradley Clayton kept trying to find the front three via a series of deep through balls.

With four minutes to go until half time, Brentford notched a third. The third member of the trio up top scored this time. Canós found Shaibu, who moved it quickly into the path of Archibald. The Scot hit it at goal, the keeper getting a hand to it but unable to keep it out.

The Bees went in at half time, three goals up without reply.

The second period started as an end-to-end contest. Several changes for Inter allowed them to be much more lively in the opening ten minutes of the half.

They got their reward from the penalty spot after 58 minutes. After beating two defenders on his way into the box, Milan’s centre-forward was brought down by Edobor. It looked like a 50-50 decision for the referee who pointed to the spot, much to the dismay of the Brentford back four.

The kick was dispatched into the bottom right corner and Inter continued to press for more.

68 minutes in, Archibald had a go from distance but it was held on to by the keeper. Then Edobor had a chance when he nodded a corner at goal, this was also kept out by Milan’s shot stopper.

Macleod and Canós got 74 minutes in total, coming off to be replaced by Herson Alves and Ali Coote. The Bees immediately had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside. Clayton was played in by Alves and put the ball in but the flag was up and the goal didn’t stand.

Brentford survived a late scare with Balcombe making some important saves to keep the score down. The final whistle sounded just after 5.15pm local time to ensure Brentford came away 3-1 winners.

Advertisement block