Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Swansea City 6 Brentford B 2

Bees fall to clinical Swansea

21 November 2017

Brentford B lost 6-2 to Swansea City in South Wales on Tuesday morning. A Bees Trialist and Marcus Forss scored the goals for Kevin O’Connor’s side but the team were outdone by a more clinical home side.

It took just under 90 seconds for The Swans to take the lead. A free-kick into the box got a flick-on at the near post, hit the far post and bounced over the line.

It could have been two very shortly. A ball from the same side of the pitch was met by a Swansea forward but his header went narrowly wide of the right post.

Brentford could have been level after 7 minutes, when Ali Coote smashed the ball against the post. Two minutes later, The Bees found the net. Coote made a neat tackle in the middle of the opposition half and the ball fell for the Trialist to run at goal. He side-stepped his marker and smashed it into the top corner. 1-1.

After 17 minutes, goalkeeper Ellery Balcombe needed to be quick to stop a low shot with his feet. Then at the other end, Theo Archibald crossed for the Trialist but he could only head it straight at the keeper.

With five minutes to go before half time, Swansea took the lead for the second time. This time a cut back on the edge of the box was fired in. Balcombe got a hand to it but couldn’t quite get it around the post, it found the net.

At half time, it was an even game with both sides getting chances and neither team looking dominant.

The hosts came flying out of the dressing room after the restart. They scored twice in as many minutes in the early stages and never looked back. The first was a goal from back to front. A long goal kick, nodded down and then fired between the Brentford back four, cutting them open and allowing an a one-on-one to be converted.

Their fourth goal of the morning was rather lucky. Attempting to pass it long near the halfway line, Brentford saw it rebound off the referee and set the opposition on the counter attack. With a man over, it was all too easy for Swansea to play the ball to a spare man and he struck at goal. Balcombe got down to parry it away but the rebound was swept home.

After just over an hour of football, The Swans had a fifth. Losing possession in their own half, Brentford were overrun by white shirts. The ball was played in behind them down the left and it was then tucked away into the bottom corner.

At this point, Kevin O’Connor decided to change things. Bringing on Marcus Forss and Joe Hardy for Jarvis Edobor and Justin Shaibu, Brentford went 3-5-2 in search of a more attacking style. It worked.

Immediately, two big chances came the way of the substitutes. The first saw Forss denied by a brilliant last-ditch tackle as he prepared to race into the box unchallenged. This stopped what was almost certainly going to be a great one-on-one for the Finnish striker.

The next fell the way of Hardy. Archibald crossed deep from the left wing, finding Hardy. The striker took a touch but the ball got trapped under his feet and he couldn’t dig it out to get a shot away from close ranger. He was pounced upon by the goalkeeper.

A few minutes later, 76 minutes in, Forss had his goal. Putting pressure on the goalkeeper, Forss made him pass out weakly to the central midfielder. Coote was able to press him and make a similar tackle to the first goal. The ball once again bounced into the path of someone in red and white stripes. It was Forss, he then rounded the keeper and slotted his shot into the bottom corner.

Moments later, Forss could have had a second but for a great save from the opposition keeper. Creating pressure in the middle, Brentford won the ball back with the Trialist down the centre. He played it wide for Forss, who shot but saw the keeper spread himself to get his leg to the ball.

In the 83rd minute, Swansea got themselves a sixth. With Brentford pressing high up the pitch, a long ball over the top caught them off guard. Creating a two-on-one situation, it became easy to slide the ball to the side and find the open man to finish into the top corner.

With two minutes of normal time to go, Coote should have done better in the middle of the box. The Trialist crossed low from the left of the box, finding Coote unmarked near the penalty spot. His first-time shot was weaker than he had hoped and trickled into the keeper’s arms.

In added time, Forss had a chance to get another goal. This time he made space for himself on the right, then fired low and wide left of the target.

Brentford B: Balcombe; Titov, Edobor (sub Forss 61 mins), Sørensen, Talbro; Kirk (sub Assibey-Mensah 75 mins), Clayton, Coote; Trialist, Shaibu (sub Hardy 61 mins), Archibald

Unused subs: Thompson (GK), Novak

Brentford goals: Trialist (9’), Forss (76’)

Advertisement block