Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

B Match Report: Bees 0 Cherries 3

B Team defeated at Jersey Road

25 November 2017

Brentford B lost 3-0 to AFC Bournemouth at Jersey Road on Saturday. Connor Mahoney, Mikael Ndjoli and Sam Sherring scored for The Cherries on a cold afternoon in West London.

It took five minutes for the visitors to open the scoring. A speculative effort from distance was struck by Mahoney, Ellery Balcombe got his hands to the ball but couldn't stop it dropping over the line and giving Bournemouth the lead.

After quarter of an hour, they had a second. A deep cross from Charlie Seaman on the right was swung to the far post, where Ndjoli headed home. 

Justin Shaibu went closest with half an hour gone, cutting inside from the left before hitting a shot high and wide of the right post. That was after recovering from a three-man collision with David Titov and Bournemouth's Keelan O'Connell.

With 32 minutes gone, Bournemouth won a free-kick 20 yards out and just to the right of the box. Emerson Hyndman got the ball up over the wall and on target but Balcombe made a good save down to his left.

A few minutes later he was in action in almost identical fashion. Another Bournemouth free-kick, this time on the right wing, was given short to Mahoney. He took the ball across on to his left foot and then struck at goal, Balcombe on hand again to parry the shot.

With five minutes to go in the first half, Lewis Macleod had a go from the edge of the box but it didn't have enough power and Jordan Holmes held on to the ball. 

Just before half time, fullback Lukas Talbro pulled up with a muscle problem and had to be substitutued.

At the break, Bournemouth changed their goalkeeper, Holmes coming off for Patrick O'Flaherty. Other than that, the sides were unchanged heading out for the second half with The Bees two goals down.

The away side picked up two booking in quick succession. Both Hyndman and O'Connell were shown yellow cards for late challenges on Brentford players.

An hour in, Ali Coote was introduced from the bench for Nikolaj Kirk at the base of midfield. Soon afterwards, The Cherries had their third and final goal of the afternoon. A cross from the right by Seaman was nodded in by Sherring. Balcombe had come for the ball but was just beaten to it by the Bournemouth midfielder.

Macleod was showing no signs of holding himself back after his injury trouble. He picked up a booking in the 77th minute for a strong challenge in the middle of the pitch. 

The biggest chance of the match for the home side came with 10 minutes to go. Coote did the hard work, dancing around three defenders before setting the ball back for Macleod. The Scot hit the ball well but it dropped agonisingly wide of the right post.

They also went close in stoppage time at the end of the game. Starting with the ball on the left wing, Titov flicked it forward to Joe Hardy. He then passed it beyond the back five of Bournemouth into the path of substitute Raphael Assibey-Mensah. The German couldn't get his shot on target and it rolled wide.

The full time whistle sounded with the score at 3-0 to Bournemouth, Brentford B's second defeat of the week after a 6-2 loss in Swansea. They travel to Huddersfield Town on Tuesday to try and pick themselves up and get back into the form that saw them go eight games unbeaten at the start of the season.

Brentford B: Balcombe; Titov, Edobor, Sørensen, Talbro (sub Archibald 43 mins); Kirk (sub Coote 60 mins) (sub Assibey-Mensah 85 mins), Macleod, Clayton; Trialist, Hardy, Shaibu (sub Forss 65 mins)

Subs (not used): Novak

AFC Bournemouth: Holmes (sub O'Flaherty 45 mins); Seaman, Hobson, Sherring, Cordner, Lee; Mahoney, Hyndman (sub Morrison 85 mins), Vincent, O'Connell (sub Anthony 70 mins); Ndjoli (sub Quigley 70 mins)

Subs (not used); Boote

Advertisement block