Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Marcondes on target as FCN held in derby

Catch up with the latest from our players out on loan

6 November 2017

Four of the the five Bees out on loan were in action over the weekend as the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup took place while there was also league action for Emiliano Marcondes and Konstantin Kerschbaumer on the continent.

In Denmark, FC Nordsjaelland surrendered more ground at the top of the Danish Superliga after they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to the ten-men of Lyngby. The visitors took a first-half lead but a trademark Marcondes free-kick, his 11th in 15 games this season, and a Michael Lumb own-goal had FCN ahead ten minutes after the break. Just nine miles separate the two clubs on the outskirts of Copenhagen and Lyngby saw their chances of taking a point hit when Mikkel Jensen was sent off with 20 minutes to play. However, in the final minute substitute David Boysen struck to deprive FCN of the win and leave them in third, three points off top spot, ahead of the international break. 

In Germany, Konstantin Kerschbaumer played the full 90 minutes as DSC Arminia Bielefield scored an injury-time equaliser to take a point from their trip to FC Erzebirge Aue on Sunday. With both sides on indifferent runs of form after good starts it was the home side who struck first: Mario Kvesic scoring from the penalty spot after a handball in first-half injury time. That looked like it would be enough to settle things and hand DSC a fourth straight league defeat but, in the first minute of second-half stoppage time, Fabian Klos headed down for Andreas Voglsammer to neatly net an equaliser. The point leaves Arminia in eighth, seven points off the promotion places. 

Back in England it was Emirates FA Cup First Round weekend with Leyton Orient, Bradford City, and Carlisle United all in action. Zain Westbrooke started for National League Orient as they fell short of an upset, losing 2-1 at League One side Gillingham. Josh Parker and Tom Eaves scored either side of the break for The Gills as they showed their league pedigree at the Priestfield. James Dayton set up a frantic final 12 minutes by halving the deficit but the home side held on to book their spot in Round Two. 

Jack Bonham and Carlisle United did pull off an upset of sorts as they knocked out in-form Oldham Athletic after a thriller at Brunton Park. Richie Bennett scored twice with Hallam Hope netting the other as United raced into a 3-0 lead over their higher division opponents. However, Athletic struck back and netted twice in seven minutes midway through the second-half to set up a barnstorming finale. Jack secured the win for his side with a vital save in injury time to deny Peter Clarke and put Carlisle into the hat for Round Two. 

At the Northern Commercials Stadium, Tom Field wasn't involved in the matchday 18 as Bradford City swept past League Two strugglers Chesterfield United. Both goals came in the first-half as the two Alex's, Gilliead and Jones, struck to send The Bantams through following a routine victory. 

Advertisement block