Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Brentford B

29 July 2017

Reece Cole's first half strike was enough to beat a physical Dulwich Hamlet side on a rainy afternoon at the Champion Hill Stadium.

Kicking off, Dulwich took the game straight to Brentford, with the centre half pairing of Edobor and Onariase forced to organise their defence quickly.

The first 5 minutes of the game found Brentford on the back foot, soaking up Dulwich’s pressure.

As the Bees settled, Edobor drove his side forward, linking well with the Brentford midfield, and on 7 minutes Holldack let fly with an early test for the Dulwich Keeper, quickly followed by a Cole effort from range.

The game became more and more physical 10 minutes in, Onariase was deemed to not have been fouled as he broke through the centre of the park, leaving the Bees exposed at the back, ending in a Dulwich free kick for Balcombe to deal with down to his left hand side.

Some Dulwich pressure forced Edobor into a goal line clearance on 15 minutes, following a deep cross from the left hand side.

The Bees looked to play clever up front, when Cole slotted the ball through for Forss, but the striker was unable to capitalise.

As Brentford continued to find their feet in the game, there was more defending to do as Dulwich forced forward.

The Bees looked to breakaway on 22 minutes with a switch ball from right to left finding Shaibu, who was just unable to deliver an end product.

The resulting corner forced Dulwich’s Keeper Edwards into a punch save as the Bees pressed for the first goal in a very physical first 25 minutes.

Cole chipped the ball through for Shaibu on 27 minutes, only for Edwards to again collect in the Dulwich goal.

The Bees broke again with Titov on the right hand side - his pass across the box to Forss intercepted at the last moment.

Onariase and Edobor continued to read the play at the back, breaking down another Dulwich attack on 30 minutes.

Assibey-Mensah broke through the midfield and found Alves out wide on 32 minutes, the final ball causing confusion in the Dulwich box before eventually being cleared.

As the Bees continued to press, gaps were appearing in the Dulwich defence with each through ball played.

Cole danced through the Dulwich back line on 35 minutes, but his shot was unable to test the Dulwich Keeper.

The deadlock was broken on 37 minutes when Titov’s superb tackle in his own half released Cole to drive through and bury his effort from the edge of the box and put the Bees ahead.

The Bees were building momentum, with crosses from Chatzitheodoridis on the left causing the Dulwich defence problems.

Holldack continued to break down play in front of the back four, and looked to start a Bees attack at every opportunity.

Going in to the break, the Bees were 1-0 up against a tough Dulwich side, after dealing with a lot of physical battles all over the pitch.

As the Bees got the second half underway, Shaibu instantly peeled off behind the Dulwich back four looking for the second goal early on. 

51 minutes saw Balcombe pull off a fine close range save following a Dulwich corner to keep the Bees’ noses in front.

A Bees free kick a few minutes later saw Alves almost increase their lead with a header from inside the six yard box.

A quick breakaway from Brentford was led by Assibey-Mensah on 55 minutes, a last ditch tackle preventing the Bees midfielder from getting his shot away.

There was a scare for the Bees a few minutes later, as Balcombe watched a long range effort narrowly miss his right hand post.

Titov fired a teasing cross into the Dulwich box on the hour mark, but no Brentford player was close enough to convert the ball.

The Bees’ football flowed moving forward, with Assibey-Mensah finding Shaibu out on the right wing, who’s close range effort could only find the side netting.

Brentford were denied an obvious corner moments later as Forss had his close range effort blocked – the Bees were attacking with a speed that Dulwich were finding hard to contain.

The Bees made their first change of the afternoon, with David Titov giving way for Lukas Talbro.

Holldack fired an effort from 25 yards on the 70 minute mark, which forced a fine save from Edwards in the Dulwich goal.

Forss fired just wide from inside the box on 6 minutes later, following some neat Bees midfield play.

A double change from the Bees followed, with Forss and Assibey-Mensah being replaced by Coote and Hardy.

A fine cross field ball from Cole released Alves to drive in to the Dulwich box. Alves’ clever back heel allowed Coote to cross, forcing the Dulwich defence to clear.

Some late pressure from Dulwich was absorbed by Brentford’s back line, who quickly turned defence into attack, setting Shaibu free to get a shot away from inside the box.

Minutes later, Edobor stayed strong under pressure to deny Dulwich from inside the box and calmly bring the ball away.

Full time: Dulwich Hamlet 0-1 Brentford B

Starting XI: Balcombe, Chatzitheodoridis, Onariase, Edobor, Titov, Holldack, Assibey-Mensah, Cole (c), Shaibu, Alves, Forss

Advertisement block