Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: ETO Gyor 0 Brentford B 4

B Team start pre-season with a comfortable win

11 July 2017

Brentford B got their pre-season schedule off to a great start with a 4-0 win over Hungarian second division side ETO Gyor.

Ali Coote netted a brace as Ilias Chatzitheodoridis and Zain Westbrooke added goals to a strong showing from Kevin O'Connor's side.

It took just three minutes for the Hungarians to notch a shot on target. Ellery Balcombe had to be quick to get his left palm up to stop a long range effort from Jozsef Mafasfoldi.

Coote took the first real chance that Brentford had after 17 minutes. Running on to a ball from Jan Holldack down the centre, he clipped a shot over the onrushing Erik Gyurakovics and into the bottom right corner.

A few minutes later Gyor were awarded a penalty. Chatzitheodoridis looked really unlucky to have been penalised for a trip on Peter Kabat near the edge of the box. The referee waved away the diving allegations and pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Magasfoldi, hitting it low to the left of the goal. Balcombe proved he wasn't going to let his clean sheet go that easily and pounced across his line to parry the ball wide. A great stop from the England Under-20 international.

With 24 minutes on the clock it looked as though Reece Cole might get a chance to show his trademark skills from long range. Although his shot was powerful, it cannoned back off the wall of green shirts. Brentford worked the ball back into the box and it was fine goalkeeping from Gyurakovics that denied Joe Hardy one-on-one.

A minute later, Brentford had doubled their advantage. A shot from Cole was deflected a few times on its way through a crowd of bodies, ending up right in front of Chatzitheodoridis. He acrobatically knocked the ball down into the ground on the volley and it looped up over Gyurkovics into the net.

The Bees then exchanged chances with their opponents as the game became stretched. Kabat saw a free-kick glide harmlessly over the crossbar, while Theo Archibald narrowly missed a low drive wide of the right post soon after.

On the stroke of half time, Gyor nearly found a way back into the match. Viktor Sximcso found the ball at his feet after a spell of pressure in the penalty area, then shot hard at goal. Jarvis Edobor was there bravely in the way to block the ball's route to goal.

O'Connor's side went in at half time, two goals up. Four changes were made as they came back out 15 minutes later. Raphael Assibey-Mensah, David Titov, Bradley Clayton and Zain Westbrooke all entered the field for a chance to get some pre-season minutes under their belts.

Barely a few moments into the second half, Hardy had a golden chance to score. Jan Novak hit a ball with his right foot that was parried by Gyurakovics to the feet of the Mancunian, but his shot was hit too high and it sailed over.

Gyor were in again after 49 minutes, Istvan Bagi with a strong header that had to be caught by Balcombe.

At the other end, Brentford made it count. Titov made space down the right to cut a ball back, Coote did the rest with a powerful finish. His shot thundered past a rooted keeper and crashed in off the left post.

Just after the hour Brentford made a few more changes, Nikolaj Kirk and Marcus Forss also getting debuts in red and white stripes.

Balcombe pulled off a couple of important saves quickly after. First, he stood up to a powerful effort by Kabat from really close range that Holldack tidied up. Then, he was at full stretch to palm a snap shot by Gergo Beliczky away from the bottom left corner of his net.

With 15 minutes to go, Brentford won a penalty. A corner routine from the left saw Novak escape his marker only to be chopped down as he collected the ball. The referee pointed for the kick, which Westbrooke calmly dispatched to make it four-nil.

Assibey-Mensah had one last chance to make it five, however his darting run ended in him chipping the ball narrowly wide of the right post. As soon as the ball dropped to safety, the officials ended the game.

Brentford B (First Half): Ellery Balcombe; Lukas Talbro, Chris Mepham, Jarvis Edobor, Ilias Chatzitheodoridis; Jan Holldack, Reece Cole, Ali Coote; Theo Archibald, Joe Hardy, Jan Novak

Brentford B (Second Half): Ellery Balcombe; David Titov, Jan Holldack, Chris Mepham (sub Jarvis Edobor 66 mins), Ilias Chatzitheodoridis (sub Lukas Talbro 69 mins); Zain Westbrooke, Raphael Assibey-Mensah, Ali Coote (sub Nikolaj Kirk 63 mins); Bradley Clayton, Joe Hardy (sub Marcus Forss 69 mins), Jan Novak

ETO Gyor: Erik Gyurakovics (sub Donat Palfi 76 mins); Viktor Vadasz; Adam Nagy (C), Patrik Vajda, Robert Kiliti (sub Jozsef Nagy 58 mins); Istvan Bagi, Martin Nagy (sub Viktor Pongracz 58 mins);  Jozsef Magasfoldi (sub Zoltan Csizmadia 58 mins), Gergo Beliczky, Viktor Szimcso (sub Milan Szilvagyi 80 mins); Peter Kabat

Advertisement block