Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Brentford 0 Barnsley 0

Spoils shared at Griffin Park

16 December 2017

Your Brentford v Barnsley match report powered by Utilita

Brentford’s unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship at Griffin Park was extended to ten matches but The Bees were only able to take a point in a 0-0 draw with Barnsley. The resolute visitors rode their luck at times but defended well enough to take a point back to Yorkshire and could have won it with some second half chances. Brentford dominated large periods, particularly in the first half, but could not find a way through and had to settle for a point.

The Bees had enough possession and territory to feel they should have won the game but did not create as many clear-cut chances as their control merited, particularly in the second half. Barnsley goalkeeper Adam Davies was busy, when he was not wasting time, but he was well protected by a well-drilled defence. And that meant for all Brentford’s dominance of the ball, they could only take a point from the game.

Brentford started the game very positively and should have been ahead inside the first five minutes, with the chances to perhaps have scored more than one. The best chance of that bright opening fell to Neal Maupay, who was faced with only Davies to beat from eight yards but fired in to the midriff of the Barnsley goalkeeper. That chance came after fine interplay between Ryan Woods, Romaine Sawyers and Ollie Watkins that was a feature of Brentford’s start. Barnsley looked all at sea in the opening five minutes as Brentford dominated.

Yoann Barbet headed a corner from Josh McEachran wide before Watkins delivered a cross from the right that Sergi Canós met on the volley but the shot was blocked. That was then recycled for Maupay’s chance and Watkins saw a shot blocked soon after. And while Barnsley had a spell just after Maupay’s chance – a spell which coincided with Canós receiving some treatment – the first half was almost entirely played with Brentford on the front foot.

Barnsley came with two attackers and tried to stop Brentford playing out from defence and through McEachran and Woods in midfield. There were times when it worked but when The Bees played past the front two there was space to exploit. A poor touch from Watkins allowed Mamadou Thiam a sight of goal but he pulled an effort wide and Harvey Barnes nodded a deep cross from Jason McCarthy off target in that spell in the first 15 minutes. But largely Brentford were able to play through and create chances with Barnsley working hard in defence to try and protect Davies and then counter-attack when they could.

Maupay got on to a clever Barbet pass but Davies rushed out to save at his feet and the two almost combined for the opener moments later. Barbet overlapped from left back and delivered a cross that Maupay turned wide on the stretch, just unable to reach and toe poke it in. When Maupay and Sawyers combined in midfield Canós got in to the box and saw a shot deflect wide and John Egan’s header from the resulting corner was blocked.

Sawyers then headed a Canós cross wide before being set up for a shooting chance by Woods and Watkins but the effort hit Maupay and rolled wide when it may have been arrowing in. Canós saw a shot deflect wide after cutting inside and the Spanish attacker then had a shot blocked before a follow-up from Barbet flew across the turf, flicked Maupay and bounced wide. Canós then had a shot blocked before some fine interplay set up Watkins to curl an effort from 18 yards but a deflection took in narrowly over.

A rare Barnsley attack enabled George Moncur to set up Tom Bradshaw to fire wide at the near post from 12 yards but most of the action at the first half was at the other end. Davies was tested late in the half by a low shot from Barbet that he saved low to his right but the Barnsley goalkeeper spent most of the first period wasting as much time as he could and ensuring there was as little action as possible. Three minutes of added time at the first period was probably not sufficient punishment and did not give Brentford the chance to take the half time lead their play deserved.

The game continued in a similar fashion after the break. The opening exchanges of the second half saw referee David Coote warn Barnsley captain Davies for his side’s time-wasting but take no further action until the hour mark, and then no more afterwards, and more Brentford chances. A clever short corner saw Watkins set up Canós but his shot from 15 yards was blocked and Maupay then failed to make good contact when he met a cross 12 yards out.

Woods saw a shot blocked before some fine interplay on the edge of the penalty area almost saw Watkins feed Maupay one-on-one but a great tackle from Liam Lindsay cut out the ball and Davies had to save to prevent his defender scoring an own goal. But after that bright opening to the second period, Barnsley began to keep The Bees out in more comfortable fashion. Brentford were unable to move the ball through midfield as they had done for much of the first hour and Barnsley began to look like potential winners.

Daniel Bentley was called in to action to save low to his left from a Barnes free kick and then pushed away a drilled cross-cum-shot from the same man. Bradshaw could have opened the scoring when he met a Barnes cross eight yards out but on the stretch and under pressure from Egan, he could only turn it over. Bentley then saved again when Moncur cut inside and let fly.

After a quiet spell, Brentford ended the game on the front foot and could have won it at the death. Barbet pulled a shot wide and Lewis Macleod saw a shot deflect over. Davies made a fine save low to his left to tip a Watkins shot around the post and, from the resulting corner, Sawyers’ shot appeared to be arrowing in before it was bravely blocked. Watkins had another effort blocked at the death as Brentford tried to vain to get the winner.

Brentford: Bentley; Clarke (sub Yennaris 68 mins), Egan, Bjelland, Barbet; McEachran (sub Macleod 74 mins); Watkins, Woods, Sawyers, Canós (sub Jozefzoon 74 mins); Maupay

Subs (not used): Daniels, Mepham, Chatzitheodoridis, Mokotjo

Bookings: Sawyers (90 mins)

Barnsley: Davies; McCarthy, Pearson (sub Pinnock 50 mins), Lindsay, Yiadom; Moncur, Gardner, Williams, Barnes (sub Hammill 89 mins); Bradshaw, Thiam (sub Ugbo 81 mins)

Subs (not used): Townsend, Mallan, Potts, Bird

Bookings: Yiadom (59 mins), Gardner (90 mins)

Attendance: 9,868 (842 away fans)

Advertisement block