Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Barnet U23 2 Brentford B 3

Alan Judge makes goalscoring return as Kevin O'Connor's side get back to winning ways

5 December 2017

Brentford B beat Barnet U23 3-2 at The Hive London on Tuesday afternoon. Alan Judge and Marcus Forss scored the goals for Kevin O’Connor’s side in what turned out to be a narrow victory.

Bradley Clayton was the first to test the Barnet keeper. Taking a one-two off Jan Novak on the edge of the box, he took the shot straight away but it was saved by Kai McKenzie-Lyle.

Chris Mepham then went close after eight minutes. Getting on the end of a cross from the left, the Wales youth international nodded the ball narrowly wide of the target.

After 10 minutes, the B Team won a penalty. A ball in from Novak was met by Forss in the middle but he was fouled in the air. Stepping up to tuck the spot-kick home, Judge showed great composure to score his first goal in red and white for over a year and a half.

It could have been two straight away. A cross from the left was met by Forss in the middle and the keeper took two attempts to catch the ball on the line.

After 20 minutes, it was two-nil. Theo Archibald crossed low from the left and Forss found space at the near post to sweep the ball home.

With half an hour gone, the hosts got one of their best chances. A deep cross from the right was headed clear at the far post by Novak. Then the follow-up was drilled in and blocked by Brentford’s trialist and Thompson was able to gather.

At the break, Brentford had the lead and the momentum. Barnet had very few attempts on Thompson’s goal and hadn’t looked a threat with Mepham winning anything and everything in the air at the back.

Judge was replaced at half time by Raphael Assibey-Mensah after completing the first 45 minutes for the B Team.

It didn’t take long for Brentford to get a third after the restart. An identical goal to his first, Forss got his second by tucking in a cross at the near post.

Barnet almost got one back immediately. Getting space on the left, Fumnaya Shomotun shot from range. Thompson got across to palm it away and Mads Bech Sørensen got back in time to clear it away from advancing white shirts.

It was Justin Amaluzor that then got Barnet back into the game. With a quick turn to get rid of his marker, he fired the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Five minutes later, the home side had a second. After darting into the penalty area, a Barnet player went down under pressure and the referee pointed to the spot. It was tucked away with two minutes of time to go.

Despite putting a few long balls into the box, Barnet couldn’t find a third goal and Kevin O’Connor’s side secured their first win in four matches.

Brentford B: Thompson; Novak, Mepham, Sørensen, Chatzitheodoridis; Kirk, Clayton, Judge (sub Assibey-Mensah 45 mins); Trialist A, Forss (sub Edobor 89 mins), Archibald (sub Trialist B 80 mins)

Subs (not used): Balcombe

Advertisement block