Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Bees lose 12-goal Futsal clash

Futsal team suffer first defeat of season

17 December 2017

Brentford FC Futsal Club 5 Albion in The Community Futsal 7 (Guilford Spectrum - 13 December 2017)

Brentford FC Futsal travelled with a depleted squad for their match against Albion in The Community (AiTC) at The Guildford Spectrum last Wednesday, 13 December. Numbers were depleted by several injuries, a suspension and illnesses, which had taken their toll on the squad, and proved to be decisive.

Both teams went into Match Day three undefeated and it was the Bees who settled into their usual possession game during the opening exchanges. However, it was Brentford who conceded first with a soft goal from 12 metres out which evaded the block and somehow beat the goalkeeper to go in after five minutes. Albion in The Community were sitting very deep in a 2-2 formation trying to play on the counter-attack when possible and it paid off with two further goals in four minutes, forcing Brentford to take their time out after 13 minutes. The message was that at 3-0 not to panic and stay in the game until half time.

Two minutes after the restart, a 10-pass move ended with Bees top goal scorer Moayed Ibrahim pegging a goal back and three minutes before half time, Ibrahim struck again with a shot from six metres to bring the Bees within a goal of AiTC. Brentford couldn’t prevent the south coast team from scoring a fourth after a shot took an unfortunate ricochet to beat Fejzo in goal on the stroke of half time to make it 4-2 to AiTC.

The Futsal Bees came out in the second half and launched an assault on the AiTC goal, reeling off eight shots in the first two minutes with Ibrahim completing his second hattrick of the season. AiTC responded from the kick off to restore their two-goal lead but The Bees stuck in the match and with 11 minutes to go Ibrahim netted a fourth goal to make it 5-4 to AiTC. A minute later, Ibrahim turned goal maker with a 15-metre diagonal pass which bypassed the whole of the AiTC team to find Mustafa Nihat unmarked on the right-hand side of the penalty area, he struck it first time to level up the match at 5-5 with ten minutes to go.

The eleventh goal of the game was scored by AiTC to edge back in front 6-5 and then it unravelled for the Futsal Bees as Ibrahim received a second yellow card for delaying a restart. Forced to play two minutes with a player less (in Futsal, a team can replace a sent off player after two minutes or when the opposition scores a goal), the four Brentford players were within 30 seconds of getting a player back when they conceded a penalty. AiTC converted the penalty to make it 7-5 before seeing out the game.

Head Coach Luis Melville commented afterwards: "It was a valiant effort from us to come back from 3-0 down and I felt we were always in the game until the dismissal. It was clear how AiTC were going to set up and we just needed to show more patience against teams that defend deep and play on the counter-attack. Moayed Ibrahim had a big game for us today, scoring four goals and assisting on our fifth. It’s not often you score four and end up on the losing side.

"All credit to AiTC who exploited us on the counter-attack today and we will need to work at being better at dealing with this. I have seen enough from our squad in the opening three games to know that we have can compete against the teams in the South-East division and there is a lot to play for in the league."

In third place, the Bees now break for Christmas with the return league match against Albion in The Community on January 10. Brentford FC Futsal Club also learned that they would play South Coast team Spanglish in The FA Futsal Cup First Round in April.

Squad: Fejzo, Nishat, Abdullah, Sharifi, Ibrahim, Gutale, Abdurahman

Scorers: Ibrahim (4), Nishat

Advertisement block