Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Brentford B 2 Dundalk FC 1

16 November 2016

Bees score twice in first half and survive late scare to earn another win

Brentford B won 2-1 against Dundalk FC at Jersey Road on Wednesday afternoon. Herson Alves and Jan Holldack scored goals in the first half to take The Bees into the break with a strong advantage. The visitors scored in final few minutes to create a fiery finish, but Flemming Pedersen's side survived the onslaught and picked up their third successive win.

The game started with each side matching the other across the field and only a few chances were created as Dundalk were put under pressure by Brentford's high pressing. Their best opening came when Ciaran Kilduff cut inside and hit a low shot from the edge of the box that Jack Bonham, on his way to full fitness, was able to hold on to.

With half an hour gone, Brentford took the lead. Zain Westbrooke fed a pass through the back four for Alves to catch up with and the winger managed to get there just before goalkeeper Gabi Sava. The onrushing stopper brought his opponent to the floo and the referee had no hesitation when pointing to the spot. Alves picked himself up, placed the ball on the spot and dispatched the kick into the bottom corner.

Dundalk tried to muster a response but found themselves two down shortly after Brentford's first. Another good move from Westbrooke allowed the captain to flick a pass across to Holldack playing deep in the opponent's box. With little time to think about it, the German took one touch to set himself before rifling the ball past Sava to double his team's lead.

After the break, Dundalk came out with more urgency than before and made four changes to their lineup. Despite this shift in focus, The Bees remained calm and kept their shape. This made life difficult for the visitors, who couldn't seem to find a way to break them down.

The most obvious chance came from a mix-up between Chris Mepham and Manny Onariase, who both cme forward to head a ball clear but got in each other's way, allowing David McMillan to shoot at Bonham. The goalkeeper did well to parry the ball and then dive on the rebound.

Kyjuon Marsh-Brown came close to netting the team's third when Reece Cole took a quick free-kick that almost met the winger's head at the far post. Marsh-Brown could have had a chance for himself when he sailed past two defenders to make some space outside the box, however he unselfishly played a ball down the wing to Lukas Talbro and the following cross was caught by substitute Gari Rogers.

Dundalk got a goal back with only two minutes remaining. A neat cross from the left by Daryl Horgan found Ciaran O'Connor unmarked and able to power home a header right in front of Bonham's goal. This spurred them on to try and steal an equaliser as time ticked away. O'Connor thought he had managed to snatch a draw when he connected with another long ball forward in the dying seconds, but Bonham did well to divert it towards the post. The offside flag came as a welcome sight just before McMillan tried to attempt a follow-up.

Brentford B: Bonham; Talbro, Onariase, Mepham, Chatzitheodoridis; Westbrooke, Ferry, Cole; Marsh-Brown (sub Parish 84 mins), Holldack, Alves

Subs not used: Kurasik, Edobor, Dunn, Assibey-Mensah, Fox

Dundalk FC: Sava (sub Rogers 45 mins); Gannon, Meenan (sub C.O'Connor 72 mins), Barrett (sub Boyle 45 mins), Keane; Shiels, Moutney (sub Doywton 74 mins), McEleney, Benson (sub Horgan 45 mins); Kilduff (sub McMillan 45 mins)

Subs not used: Michael O'Connor

Advertisement block