Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team: Brentford 3 Bristol City 2

6 February 2016

Danny Parish's double secures three points against Robins

A spirited second-half fightback earned Brentford’s Youth Team their first home win since August as they came from behind to beat Bristol City 3-2 at Jersey Road this morning.

The visitors had taken the lead after half an hour when Kell Akpobire tapped home James Morton’s cross, but second-half substitute Julius Fenn-Evans put Brentford back on level terms when he nodded home George Harmes’ wind-assisted corner.

A nine-minute brace from striker Danny Parish put The Bees on their way to victory, before Jake Andrews netted a consolation penalty in the dying seconds of the match.

Tyrick Mitchell and Ellery Balcombe returned to the starting lineup, and with a number of players ruled out of contention, Jon De Souza handed under-16s midfielders Harry Francis and Shawkat Tahir their first starts at under-18 level. Josh Bohui missed out due to international duty; the young winger was an unused substitute for England U17 yesterday as they drew 1-1 with hosts Portugal in the Algarve Tournament.

Brentford undoubtedly started the game on the back foot; despite Luke Dunn’s early shot from Francis’ chipped pass, they struggled to get a foothold on the game, partly due to the electric pace of full-back George Nurse on the left wing.

The Robins were dominant for large parts of the game but should have created more openings; Andrews found time on the edge of the box but could only hook a shot over the bar.

But after leaving Balcombe untested in the Brentford goal, they took the lead after half an hour; Morton’s whipped cross should have been easily dealt with, but after the ball evaded Elijah Chilekwa, Akpobire was on hand to smash it over the line at the far post.

The hosts responded well, going closest when Parish let Seth Owens’ pass drift across his body although goalkeeper Tyler Edmonds managed to get a palm to the shot and keep his side in front.

But it was the introduction of Julius Fenn-Evans ten minutes into the second half that turned the game on its head and set the wheels in motion for a win. The 16-year-old returned to action after missing the past two games through injury and he helped the Bees back into the game when Harmes’ outswinging corner caught the wind, allowing the midfielder to head in his third goal of the season.

And ten minutes later – after great work by Tyrick Mitchell in defence – Parish latched onto a long ball out from the back and squared for Fenn-Evans; his shot was saved, but the former was on hand to tap home the loose ball.

Six of the last eight games had ended in defeat for Brentford, but ten minutes later Parish capitalised on Owen Barry’s mistake, robbing the ball from the defender’s feet after a poor touch, before rounding Edmonds and passing into an unguarded net, gifting him his fifth goal in three games and ninth of the season overall.

Despite the lead Brentford almost surrendered their lead, firstly when Mitchell conceded a free-kick right on the edge of the area; the resulting ferocious effort by Andrews forced Balcombe into a smart diving save.

And when Harmes chopped down George Kellow in the box, the Bees did concede a second; Andrews again stepped up and dispatched a sublime penalty far out of the reach of Balcombe.

But the Bees held on to make it two wins from their last three games and now have a week off to prepare for a visit to Suffolk to face Ipswich Town on Saturday 20th February.

Brentford: Ellery Balcombe, Tyrick Mitchell, Seth Owens, Zach Birse, Romayne Pennant, George Harmes, Pablo Gonzalez, Shawkat Tahir (Ryan Kirwin 90+1), Harry Francis (Julius Fenn-Evans 55), Luke Dunn, Danny Parish

Unused subs: Cameron Greaves, Samuel Kifwasima, George Hunt

Bristol City: Tyler Edmonds, Joe Selman, George Nurse, Henry Spalding, Harvey Smith (Owen Barry 72), Aaron Parsons, James Morton, Joe McNulty (Tom Richards 46), Elijah Chilekwa (George Kellow 46), Jake Andrews, Kell Akpobire

Unused Subs: None

Advertisement block