Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team: Barnsley 2 Brentford 2

9 April 2016

Jon De Souza's side finish season with point in South Yorkshire

Julius Fenn-Evans’ brace helped Brentford’s Youth Team to a 2-2 draw against Barnsley in their final U18 Professional Development League Two fixture of the season this afternoon. Ramal Palmer put the Tykes ahead from close range after half an hour but Fenn-Evans won and converted a penalty to send the two sides in level-pegging at the break.

Brentford started the second half the better side but again fell behind when substitute Kane Swinburn poked home, but Fenn-Evans struck again with seventeen minutes to play to ensure the Bees shared the spoils of an entertaining game..

Looking much unlike a side rooted to the bottom of the Northern half of the league, Barnsley flew out of the traps and enjoyed almost total possession in the first 10 minutes; through not a technical side, they went close when Jack Alton hit a 30 yard shot that was punched to safety by Cameron Greaves.

Despite increasing pressure from the home side, Brentford managed to settle the pace down and went close twice after 10 minutes when Harvey Killeem hit a shot wide before George Harmes saw a wonderful curling free-kick crash against the far post.

Jeff McGowan almost finished off a superb move crafted by Mo Saeed on 20 minutes - he also saw his first time shot across Greaves hit the woodwork, but the pair didn’t have to wait much longer to create the opener. After Saeed beat trialist Bani for pace, his cross was met by McGowan; the striker’s shot again cannoned off the post but this time Palmer was aptly placed to finish past Greaves from six yards out.

Barnsley’s home record this season was less than impressive – to say the least – but Brentford could only boast four wins from 15 away games themselves. That said however, the Bees were the league’s highest scorers away from home and added to their tally of 28 when Fenn-Evans netted his fourth of the season from the spot after Sam Ottley’s trip.

Brentford started the second half in a much-improved fashion; Fenn-Evans and Jeremiah Kamanzi both wasted good long-range opportunities before Jon De Souza’s boys again went behind in the shadow of Oakwell.

Greaves thought he had prevented the danger posed by Saeed, but the winger managed to claim back possession and cross from an acute angle for substitute Swinburn to prod over the line to make it 2-1.

The two sides had three wins between them in 2016, so it was almost obvious that the tie would finish all square – that was guaranteed when Fenn-Evans notched his second of the game with 73 minutes gone.

Tyrick Mitchell found himself unmarked on the left and exchanged passes with Fenn-Evans, before crossing for the latter who turned and toe-poked past Murphy for his fifth goal of the season.

Even though there was nothing to play for but pride, both sides battled hard for the winner in an intense final ten minutes but in the end, neither could force a winner as the Bees took a well-earned final point on their long journey back to West London.

Brentford: Cameron Greaves, Tyrick Mitchell, Sean Bird, Alkeo Bani, George Harmes, Jeremiah Kamanzi, Harvey Killeem, Julius Fenn-Evans, Giovanni McGregor, Luke Dunn, Danny Parish (Shaun-Chris Joash 63)

Barnsley: Arron Murphy, Sam Ottley, Cameron Simpson, Philroy Peters, Adam Lund, Jack Alton (Sam Tingle 86), Louis Rowe (Kane Swinburn 55), Ramal Palmer, Jeff McGowan, Freddie Tracey (Tom Clare 82), Mohamed Saeed
Unused subs: Jake Greatorex, Frank Koroma

Advertisement block