Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team: Coventry City 5 Brentford 4

26 September 2015

Jon De Souza's side let two goal lead slip to suffer fourth straight defeat

Brentford’s Youth Team surrendered a two-goal lead for the second week in a row as they were beaten 5-4 by a resilient Coventry City side at the Alan Higgs Centre this afternoon.

Reece Cole and Courtney Austin put The Bees 2-0 up early on but Jordan Shipley reduced the deficit just before half-time.

In a manic two minutes after the interval Ian Carlo Poveda scored and Austin grabbed another before Bassala Sambou converted a penalty to make it 4-3.

And in the final three minutes Tom Bayliss and Jak Hickman completed the comeback as they seized on defensive errors to claim victory.

Manager Jon De Souza made two changes from the starting XI that were beaten by Sheffield Wednesday last week; George Harmes returned in place of the injured Romayn Pennant whilst Jordan Carey replaced Cameron Greaves between the sticks.

The visitors started the game in a spritely fashion and were almost ahead inside the first five minutes when Cole, who played 90 minutes for the U21s versus Leeds during the week, forced goalkeeper Konrad Skuza into two close-range saves.

Sambou nearly opened the scoring for the Sky Blues immediately after, when he met Kyle Finn’s cross, but with Chris Mepham pressuring him, he side-footed against the woodwork and the danger was averted.

Cole and Poveda were linking up well but the former wasted another chance when he played a one-two with the Colombian youngster and scuffed a shot wide of the mark.

Brentford looked more likely to score, but were nearly caught out by Coventry’s tendency to break at rapid pace when Dan Smith crossed into the box; fortunately Mepham was on hand to clear.

After 27 minutes, Cole finally broke the deadlock when Skuza saw his 25-yard free-kick late and spilled the ball over the line, seven minutes later Austin doubled the lead - Poveda picked up the ball in his own half and split the defence with a low pass that Austin picked up and slotted past Skuza for his sixth goal of the season.

Just before half-time, Vancouten was guilty of a poor pass out of defence that was cut out by Kyle Finn and squared for Shipley to score a shot that was out of Carey’s reach.

Jon De Souza encouraged his side to keep possession after the break and ten minutes in Poveda made the possession count as he broke into the box, fed Cole and his backheel created space for Poveda to stylishly slot home.

Until the final 20 minutes of the match Carey was virtually untroubled by the home side’s attackers, but when he couldn’t keep hold of Finn’s shot Bayliss was on hand to pull another goal back.

Seconds after the restart, the two-goal lead was restored when Austin finished well from a long-ball forward but it was again reduced just two minutes later when Carey felled Sambou; the forward calmly knocked in the subsequent penalty.

To compound their misery, as had happened at Middlewood Road last weekend, the Bees capitulated in the closing stages.

Firstly as Bayliss bagged his second when a cross wasn’t dealt with and again in the final minute through Hickman - nobody got a foot on the ball the clear the danger leaving the full-back with the simple task of smashing shot past Carey to send The Bees to a fourth straight defeat.

Brentford: Jordan Carey, George Harmes (Sean Bird 20), Terence Vancouten, Chris Mepham, Luke Dunn, Julius Fenn-Evans, Reece Cole, Josh Bohui, Danny Parish (Tony Guppy 64), Ian Carlo Poveda (Samuel Kiywasima 84), Courtney Austin
Goals: Cole (27), Austin (34, 69), Poveda (55)

Coventry City: Konrad Skuza, Jak Hickman, Chris Camwell, Callum Maycock, Darragh Leahy, Reece Ford, Kyle Finn (Jay Albini 80), Tom Bayliss, Dan Smith (Ronee Hendricks 84), Jordan Shipley (Dagry Mantsainga 67), Bassala Sambou
Subs (not used): Jordon Thompson, Brandon Ganley
Goals: Shipley (39), Bayliss (69, 87), Sambou (71), Hickman (89)

Advertisement block